Thread: Fine Furniture inner cabinet

Blog Entries

Fine Furniture inner cabinet

Hi all, buiding a jewelry armoire from mesquite. There will be an inner cabinet that is rectangllar in shape. Inside the cabinet, will be drawers, but the face of the drawers will cover the edges of the rectangular cabinet, so no one will see them from the front. However the dises of this cabinet will be seen as it will be exposed from time to time.. Other times the outside will be covered with doors. My question is should I miter the corners of the inside are do butt joints with dominoes?

Hopte this makes sense, here is a pic of the finished drawing. Wholw piece.jpgopen side door.jpg
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    There is no need to try to hide joinery if the joints are well made. The inserts for this jewelry box are locking rabbet joints.
    IMG_6008_edited-1.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I'm with Lee. There is nothing wrong with good structural joinery being exposed. I do appreciate the approach of cabinets that are finished on all sides with aesthetically pleasing interiors. If that is what you are after that's great. If the internals are more basic that does not devalue the piece or the effort IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Lee, did you flock the inside or use materials that you cut to fit? And what thickness are your dividers?

Blog Entries
    The dividers, insert sides are all 1/4" thick. A 1/8" saw blade makes perfectly sized lock rabbet joint cuts. The liner is self adhesive felt purchased from a local hobby supply store. The cherry pieces you see in the bottom are separate and have mitered corners. The center long divider fits into a v-notch and is double mitered on each end so it can be removed. The egg crate inserts are also removable.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-05-2023 at 6:59 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    There is no need to try to hide joinery if the joints are well made. The inserts for this jewelry box are locking rabbet joints.
    IMG_6008_edited-1.jpg
    Pretty piece Lee! Excellent work.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher