Thread: Once was a 2x4

Once was a 2x4

Here's an entry in a 2x4 challenge. (The rules of the challenge are: build something from an 8' 2x4. That's it. That's all the rules.) The table is 27" across, and 19" tall.

2x4table.jpg

That’s really neat. Love the shape and the lattice top.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Jamie, that is exquisite.
    Best, Patrick

That's really outstanding, Jamie! Awesome design and I love how you incorporated the curves. A piece of glass on top cut to shape could finish this out to hold up a well deserved beverage or three!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice!
    I participated in a 2x4 challenge about a dozen years ago, they are really fun.
    I made a little chest.
    100_0549.jpg
    Good luck in your contest.

Very nice Jamie. If I were a judge you'd have my vote.

Jamie, that is so clever. Wish my creative side worked like that!

Incredible design and execution! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Both the design and workmanship are excellent. Well done.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

That's from one 2 X 4? I'll bet there wasn't much waste. Great design and execution.

Thank you all.
    Curt, you’re right, there were nearly no leftovers. Getting furniture out of one 2x4 is a big challenge.

Phenomenal.

Extremely careful selection of the 2x4 would be essential.

WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Phenomenal.

Extremely careful selection of the 2x4 would be essential.

WOW.

It was a 2x4 from Home Depot. I have a habit of wandering past the 2x4 stack most times I go to HD. If a stick looks particularly nice, I buy it, and stash it in a corner of the shop. In a few years, it air dries down to 9% EMC, and is ready for use. The one for that table was quartersawn. It had one big knot about an inch from the end, and a few smaller knots elsewhere. I cut around some of those, and included a few on the feet and central post. The laminates for the bent parts needed to be clear.

construction

The wood is Douglas Fir. That's what construction lumber is here on the West Coast.

The curved ribs are bent-laminated. I made four different bending forms to get the four different radii. I use epoxy and a vacuum bag for bent lamination. There are three different kinds of joints in the table top. At all the internal joints, there are half-lap joints. Where the internal ribs hit the three perimeter ribs, there are dowels inserted from the outside. At the three corners, there are horizontal splines. None of the 47 joints in the top are nice 90 degree joints, and all of them are in curved members. The post is actually three pieces of wood glued together so that the end grain is symmetric. The legs are fastened to the post with floating tenons. The whole piece has one coat of danish oil.

The 2x4 was from Home Depot, over 30% EMC when I bought it. When I'm in HD, I sometimes go check the 2x4 pile. If I see a nice one, I buy it, and put it in the corner of my shop. In a couple years it air-dries down to 9%, and is ready for use. VGDF for a buck a board foot.

Creative and nice looking! Well done in all areas!

Jim