Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: air conditioner no workie

air conditioner no workie

week or so ago put the air on and al was well day or two later wasnt sure but heard it running. Now realize that it wasnt running just the fan and the reason the fan was running was the thermostat was below the temp and had turned the fan on likely when it triggered the air cond to turn on

I turned the main power off opened the bodx outside bit furry in there so blew it out with my newly working compressor and dont get this on and off stuff. I that supposed to pull ouit and fuses in there or? I had past read that start capacitors are number one fail on air cond. Have to figure out how to get the cover stuff off but first is there a fuse or anything to this thing with the handle or is it just a tie in from wiring inside to the unit.
    thanks
    P2040268A.jpgP2040276A.jpg

You pull the handle out to disconnect power. You have the option of reinserting the handle flipped over so off is on top. I would just leave the handle out so you don't accidentally put it in the wrong way and have power connected when you want it off.

There are recommendations to use your right hand to pull out the disconnect while keeping your left arm behind your back. This is supposed to make it less likely for an electric shock to go through your heart.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 07-04-2023 at 9:20 PM.

thanks so its only a disconnect not fuses and different than the paddle handle disconnects on the machines. Guess im going in to hunt for a capacitor next

yeah realize that plenty of woodworking you tubes as well. I dont even have a fan running so unless the capacitor can cause that there is some other issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    yeah realize that plenty of woodworking you tubes as well. I dont even have a fan running so unless the capacitor can cause that there is some other issue.
    Did you check the circuit breaker for the outside power? Is the thermostat set on Cool and set cold enough to run, furnace or blower fan running.? Simple but needed checks.

No fuses in that outside box.

I wonder if this post of mine will be deleted? Others have been.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-04-2023 at 10:44 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

set on cool for numbers say 70 inside turn to 65 furnace fan runs as its triggered by the Honeywill digital thermostat, stays on all the time since its set lower than ambient temp. Think the batteries are fine. Is there an actual fuse in that box I showed there? Also just reading says they have a red reset button you hold for 30 seconds. 81 at the desk now. Will go see if there is a button. Im not clear on the caps the you tube I saw the unit was running but not colling this I have no fan at all.

put the power back on and after 20 seconds furnace did a pause noise it always did when it wouild start the air only unit did not start. Put a voltage thing on the two lines on the air cond side of that disconnect box so its getting power.

can a capacitor at this point stop the whole unit from starting I think there is a side cover, ill turn the power off. I guess capacitors store energy or maybe not if not working. Remember a story from a friend who worked at a place I wont mention. He said one employee had a capacitor or capacitors on his power box at home and cut his monthly bill down dramatic said he got a knock on the door caused when they saw his bill drop so much. guy that told me that had no reason to mislead me that was long ago in high school.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-04-2023 at 10:56 PM.

I see a contactor in there same as a woodworking machine start switch with the spring loaded part. Can I put the power back on and push that in? capacitor does not seem swollen not sure how you discharge it or measure it but can just buy a new one unit has been there for many years

P2040295A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-04-2023 at 11:20 PM.

Yes that looks like the so called definite purpose contactor. It is just a relay with no overloads. The coil can be 24, 120, or 240 volts. One difficulty in trouble shooting ac is when they get an "on" signal they wait a minute or two before energizing the compressor. This is so the pump never tries to start under pressure.
    I doubt there are fuses in that disconnect. Just pull it out and look at the back side of what you pulled out. Any fuses will be obvious and as big as your thumb.
    Total guess that the two yellow wires on the left side of the relay are the coil supply wires. I will also guess the red and black on the right side are switched power in and out of the relay.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-04-2023 at 11:38 PM.

I pushed the contactor i n and it started and ran and sounds like its doing the air thing. if I can get my 92 year old neighbour to stand out here and hold the stick for a few hours home should be fine. Not sure about musquitoes though

I actually had her do that once on one machine so I could finish a few more passes. Is the capacitor a thing that triggers that coil to snap in and stay there or? Im pretty sure its working right and could mcgiver a thing up to put pressure on it but wont. starting to smarten up a bit more as i get older. Are there other gizmos in there that could cause this or cap likelyi culprit I think you can measure ohms though not sure I have a meter but maybe its on one of them
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-04-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Capacitor has nothing to do with the relay. It is just a motor run or start capacitor. The motor is sealed inside a can with no capacitors just freon and a pump. This makes it easier to change caps when needed.
    I would disconnect power and exercise the relay a few times. Blow out any dust/dirt/bugs. use a dry paintbrush as well. If that does not solve it put a strip of brown paper bag between one set of contacts and lightly push the relay closed and drag the paper through the contacts to clean them. Do this few times for both contact sets and see if that works. Do not use sandpaper. Too abrasive and many finer grits can be electrically conductive. Any grit not cleaned out can cause wear and jamming latter.
    If not replace the relay with one of the same coil voltage and enough amps to carry the load. if you are lucky the mount screws will line up the same.
    Bill D

You may take the cover off of the contactor and find the contacts full of dead bugs. That happened to my A/C Friday afternoon. Bought a contactor and capicitor, plugged them in and the condenser fan came on, but the compressor is still DIA. Guess a call to my A/C guy is in order.
    BillL

okay ill try to blow it out rather than take it apart. I guess I cant really tell if the compressor is on or not but the fan is running for sure. If push the contactor in is there a pause of a minute or two for the compressor to kick in maybe ill try it again as not sure

link to amazon for a 2 pole, 24 volt ac coil contactor. Not too expensive for 40 amps. not an exact fit. The coil connections look to be spade connectors like yours
    Bill D.
    https://www.amazon.com/Contactor-Gen...32994709&psc=1

If push the contactor in is there a pause of a minute or two for the compressor to kick in maybe ill try it again as not sure[/QUOTE]
    That sounds like "delay on" feature is working. You should hear and feel a low hum as the compressor comes on. A helper can see the power company meter jump as the compressor comes on
    The return line will get cold after few minutes of compressor run time. The high pressure line out of the compressor will quickly get hot as the pump runs.
    Bill D