Thread: Chisel rolls

Chisel rolls

What’s a good tool roll (canvas or leather) to store these firmer chisels in?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...firmer-chisels

I like a chisel roll like this. You put the chisels into the pockets handle first (sharp end out). I put my chisels into the pockets in order by size. This allows me to select the proper size chisel quickly.

The fact that the chisels go on both sides means that the roll rolls up evenly. Tool rolls that only have pockets on one side don't roll evenly and roll into a bigger roll than a chisel roll that has pockets on both sides.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've used a couple of these for many years. I put some wool or batting in the bottom of the pockets to protect both the edges and the leather from being cut. It also holds a bit of oil.

https://hidatool.com/item/2336

I haven't tried a leather roll, but every non-leather roll I've had eventually gets slit or pierced by the chisels. Probably something I'm doing wrong like not having something to protect/encase the edges.

Texas Heritage sets the bar high for quality and craftsmanship. Their chisel roll is designed to hold the handles and leave the pointy bit exposed so you can easily see what size chisel you are grabbing. The other benefit to that style is the pockets will fit nearly any handle so if you add gouges, bevel edge chisels or some specialty chisels, they'll all fit the same. The rolls sized for a set of sized chisels doesn't afford that versatility. https://txheritage.net/generalstore/tool-rolls

Or look for a vintage option. This is the roll my chisels came in. It’s bound to the sizes in a set, and with the iron in the pocket instead of the handle I always fear I’m going to put a hole in it.
    FD0C2EC0-AABF-49AB-904B-F9D82116EF4E.jpg
    Last edited by David Zor; 07-06-2023 at 12:02 AM.

I have one sold by LV. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...l?item=68K4031

Very happy with it. In your case it will give you a little room for expansion which is always a good thing.

I have both a canvas roll purchased from Woodcraft some 40 years ago and a leather one from Lie-Nielsen. I only use them when I have to fill a toolbox and do something away from my home shop. I am always afraid long-term storage in a closed "container" will promote rust. I might be wrong but better safe than sorry if an environment has varying levels of humidity.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I got the leather one from Lee Valley. I don't like it. It is too stiff - maybe it would soften up if I used it more. It just doesn't work for me.

On trips while on Rust Hunts.....have seen a couple chisel rolls, AND Brace Bit Rolls.....usually made from old Canvas Nail Aprons.....Where the "Better Half" had stitched pockets spaced according to the handles, NOT the blades of a chisel.....the handles are set side by side ( more or less) and the pockets for the blades are stitched around each blade....

Auger Rolls were also seen...where they had stitched each bit into place....

Nail aprons still had strings to tie the apron around the waist....was then used to tie the rolls up. Seen a few with the name of the Hardware Store/Lumber Yard/General Store printed on the apron's front....

Me? I used to have a Bucket Apron...that fit a 5 gallon bucket.....to carry around all my Non Masonry Tools in...will on a Job Site. Tools for concrete work had their own plain 5 gallon bucket..that I could also wash up all of those tools in. That way, the Carpenter Tools stayed dry...And my nail apron/tool belt was a tad lighter to walk around with.

Have a picture long ago..while at the West Liberty Tractor Fest..of both wooden and Leather Auger Bit holders...the leather one was rather oil soaked, though....The wooden one was Oil Stained...

Of course, all of those rolls were made long before Lee Valley existed...I think you can still buy a canvas Nail apron...for a couple bucks? Note: the old style Nail aprons had super long ties, so that you could wrap the tie all the way around your (not so skinny) waist, and then tie it off in front of you....yep..Olde School...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    I haven't tried a leather roll, but every non-leather roll I've had eventually gets slit or pierced by the chisels. Probably something I'm doing wrong like not having something to protect/encase the edges.
    On canvas rolls, you need to put the handle into the pocket, not the sharp end.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The traveling set, the shop set, & a home made one.

IMG_4286.jpgIMG_4287.jpgIMG_4288.jpgIMG_4289.jpgIMG_4290.jpg