Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanket Chest

Blog Entries

Blanket Chest

It has been a little hot for doing some of the yard items on my to-do list (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I'm a little early on the start of this piece since demo hasn't even started yet on the bedroom remodel but . . . I wanted to try one of the pieces from the bedroom set I designed for the new digs. This is a different style than I normally make but we wanted something to set the new bedroom apart. It will be a veneered frame and panel piece with arched legs, angled end panels, and a removable cushion on top so we can sit on it and put our shoes on or whatever. If it pleases SWMBO, the dressers, vanity, and other items will share a family resemblance.

Blanket Chest (50).jpg
    I made some curved cauls to present parallel edges to the clamps to make the glue-up easier.

Blanket Chest (104).jpg
    I had never used these Rockler "lid-stay" hinges before. They are no-mortise hinges and leave a really large gap. If my top wasn't just a plank that would be fine. I needed the top to be fully supported by the casework so I had to recess the hinge position. I made a quick jig out of scrap to help me be accurate and consistent.

Blanket Chest (120).jpg
    Some clamps and a caul make a third hand to help hold this 30 pound top while I fiddle about.

Blanket Chest (119).jpg
    The top closes flush and stays open at any angle so I have to say the hinges work as described.

Blanket Chest (129).jpg

Blanket Chest (132).jpg
    I have applied a base coat of a thinned mix of the primary finish. This will act as a sealer. I also take care of any color variations that are distracting as opposed to attractive at this stage.

Blanket Chest (142).jpg
    This will set for about 24 hours (or less in our weather) and I will carry on with the finishing stage.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice...kind of a stretch limo version of a blanket chest. How wide is it? What is the primary finished you thinned? It looks good already.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Looks Great... Great Craftsmanship.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. The top is 59" wide, 21" deep. The top is a bit larger than the case and scaled to guide you away from catching your pinkie toe on the leg on the way to the bathroom as you navigate through the dark bedroom in the middle of the night . The finish is an oil:varnish blend. McCloskey SPAR, mineral spirits, BLO, and a bit of Transtint Reddish Brown in this case. The first coat is lighter on the varnish and heavier on the MS to increase the penetration level. The last coat is heavier on the varnish to develop a good film thickness. The varnish is a gloss sheen but this is a wipe-on, wipe-off process that yields a satin end result.

– Samuel Butler

Absolutely wonderful. The lines and detail flow well. Great choice of material. The color is so even.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Blog Entries
    It will take some time to get the cushion made but for all intents and purposes, this is the finished product.

Blanket Chest (144).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-10-2023 at 7:31 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Great look piece Glenn.
    I like how you arranged the grain on all the panels. Where did you find such nice Cherry?
    Aj

Gorgeous Glenn! Very nicely done sir.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Great look piece Glenn.
    I like how you arranged the grain on all the panels. Where did you find such nice Cherry?
    Random pick up at a lumber yard some years ago. It has been waiting for the right piece ;-)

– Samuel Butler

Excellent work Glenn. I really like the subtle, soft curves you incorporated. Especially the small tails on the bottom of the side panels - a very playful little detail. Overall a great piece of work.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

very nice, dont often see curly cherry. it looks fantastic
    lou

Beautiful design, materials and craftsmanship! Congrats Glenn.

Very Nice, Glen. I really line the proportions and softened, flowing lines. It just needs a photo of where it will live.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Welll done Glenn- love both design and execution. Sure your family will love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It just needs a photo of where it will live.
    It will be a few months before the remodel is done but here's a pic with better lighting.

Blanket Chest (146).jpg

– Samuel Butler