Thread: Fs - ln 140 skew block plane (bronze)

Fs - ln 140 skew block plane (bronze)

These are presently unavailable at LN. The listed retail for the bronze 140 is now $450, an increase of $65 from just a month ago. And, there is still an extended delay - From Thomas Lie-Nielsen - "We are very much aware of the fact that many of our customers miss our Bronze tools, like the No. 4. So do we. During the pandemic our long-time supplier of larger Bronze castings became unable to fulfill our requirements, a situation which now is clear will not change. Meanwhile, other Bronze foundries are too busy to help us, so we are working on a solution that we believe will bear fruit. Among other things, we need to re-tool every casting pattern plate, install new equipment to handle operations the previous foundry provided and get the casting process worked out to our satisfaction."

From conversations with folks at LN it seems that the in-house foundry project is taking more time than expected, so it may be several months before it is up and running. The 140 is neither in Core Tools nor Core 2 tools. I suspect there will be a lot of catch up on the other bronze planes and parts before this plane is produced again. So, a new one delivered would be close to $490 if the price doesn't increase again in the following months.

This plane came from a group of planes I acquired from the estate of a lifelong woodworker and I was informed the planes are about 30 years old. The blade is not engraved with the LN logo, so it is probably O1 steel and that would be consistent with the stated age of the plane. It does not have a nicker and does not have the box.

Functionally, it is in excellent condition. The prior owner, uncle to the seller, had lightly put his last name on the bed for the blade, and at some point there appears to have been a small ding on the corner of the mouth of the plane body. However, it apparently was flattened on both the bed and on the sole as it is not proud of either surface. There is also a scratch on the inside surface of the steel side plate as can be seen in the pics. Otherwise, the plane was heavily tarnished, but the blade is sharp with no corrosion. It cleaned up very well and looks like new.

On eBay prices range from ridiculous to absurd, depending on the day of the week, the condition, and how many folks are craving one. In any event, this one is in excellent condition and the price is $325 plus shipping.

IF THEY EVER BECOME AVAILABLE at LN, that is about $150 cheaper than a new one. Payment via Zelle or personal check. If this one doesn't appeal to you, then you may want to consider joining the fray on eBay!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	504049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140-3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	504050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140-4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	504051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140-5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	504052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140-2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	504048  

Left click my name for homepage link.

Price reduced to $300, plus shipping.

There seems to be some indication that the "no logo" blades are W1 steel instead of O1.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-11-2023 at 8:02 AM.

Plane is sold!