Thread: Few finds at the Skibbereen farmer’s market

Few finds at the Skibbereen farmer’s market

Visiting my wife’s family in West Cork Ireland and went to the best farmer’s market I’ve ever experienced. Especially amazing considering it was in a little old town like Skibbereen.

Always wanted a pig sticker but this sash chisel is gonna be a workhorse, and this big old cooper’s shave should be fun. The lignum vitae mallet has some serious heft for it’s size.
    Paid +\- €10 each.

Very cool to see joiner shops still very active. Almost all the new doors(interior included) I saw in West Cork had exposed through tenon joinery. In Dublin now and it doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m kinda sold on the Emerald Isle. Wife and daughter have Irish passports so hopefully make it back often now that the girl is traveling age, bout to turn 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Looks like you did great Chuck.

I would love to go rust hunting in the old country.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My relatives left there...about 7 generations ago....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Chuck did you visit the studio of Joseph Walsh when you were there? He's closer to Cork city. He's become something of a celebrity in the woodworking / design world.

I will be in Ireland for a week or so in September, mainly in the North. It’s my wife’s nursing school reunion. I have been there before and seen all of the touristy things. Any suggestions for tool or woodworking things to see? I would like to see Irish Stick Chairs or any green woodworking activities. Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wiarda View Post
    I will be in Ireland for a week or so in September, mainly in the North. It’s my wife’s nursing school reunion. I have been there before and seen all of the touristy things. Any suggestions for tool or woodworking things to see? I would like to see Irish Stick Chairs or any green woodworking activities. Thanks, Tom
    You won’t be disappointed by the “country life” exhibit at the National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts if you make it to Dublin. Lots of cool chairs and other pieces. I was hoping to visit a working shop but couldn’t find anything.

I know very little about woodworking related activities in Ireland, but I have heard that artist Francis Bacon's studio is worth visiting. Here's some copy and paste about it -

Francis Bacon was born in Dublin in 1909, to English parents. He lived in both London and Berlin, before a spell in Paris inspired him to become an artist. On returning to London in the 1930s, he worked briefly in furniture design but ultimately found fame as a painter with the critical success of Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion in 1944. He spent most of the rest of his life in London, producing some of the twentieth century's most celebrated paintings, including a series of works inspired by Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X (1650, Galleria Doria Pamphili, Rome).

Dublin City Gallery - The Hugh Lane acquired Bacon's London studio in 1998. Over 7,000 objects from the original artist's studio were found, logged and painstakingly transferred, and the space was formally opened to the public in 2001 - a rare example of a studio being completely transplanted from one city to another. It is accompanied by an online database that forms the first computerised record of the entire contents of an artist's studio. Typical of Bacon's practice, it includes scraps of thick corduroy trousers, cut out arrows and towelling dressing gowns used to texture paintings.