Thread: Mods to a new HF 2HP DC or my current Delta 50-850?

Mods to a new HF 2HP DC or my current Delta 50-850?

I’m breaking down and planning to up my portable (kinda) dust collector to a modified unit with canister filter, Thien baffle on a trash can and, if possible upgraded impeller.

I’ll be putting an amp meter to my Delta 50-850 tomorrow (1-1/2 HP) to see what its draw is. I’ve seen many posts that the HF only draws 13-15 amps while running suggesting it is more in the 1.5HP club. I’ll be curious to compare with my old Delta.

I have seen many posts about people upgrading the impeller on the HF 2HP unit to a 12” that can be bought from Rikon or Wen. Does anyone happen to know if the same can be done to my Delta??

Lastly, I’m trying to think of a configuration that would allow everything to go on one mobile platform. I’ve seen some instances of the can supporting the Thien baffle which supports the motor which then has a hose connection over to filter/bag. I like that but can’t think how pulling the can out from all that weight would work. Thoughts? Also, can a can liner be used in the can or would it destroy the spiraling air flow?

Many questions! Thanks for your thoughts!

Steve

IMHO, they are functionally equivalent machines, so if the Delta is running, it's unlikely you'll gain much by replacing it with the HFT unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It depends on the actual size of the Delta impeller. Going from an 11" to 12" will give about a 20% increase in amount of air moved (it is based on area of impeller, not diameter). Going from 10" to 12" is a 44% increase.. Doing the HF + impeller upgrade could be a good project. You may just want to bite the bullet and buy something like the Grizzly (which has a large 12-3/4" impeller):

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...lector/g1028z2

Sorry, I didn't completely read your post. I don't know if the Delta impeller can be upgraded. I would pull the cover off and see what kind of space is available. It could be that the Delta does not have enough space for a 12", but anything is possible.

It's likely out of your budget, but you could look at something like the Laguna C|Flux:1 or the Jet JCDC-1.5 cyclones.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 07-11-2023 at 12:11 PM.

It might be time to bite the bullet and look at a whole new setup. Oneida has some nicely integrated units.

I have and like my 2hp HF but I wouldn't buy it if I already had a 1.5 HP Delta. I'd look at the amp draw to see if there is really a motor size difference. Even if there is, I doubt the HF is designed to flow significantly more. Maybe with a larger impeller it would. There are other ways to increase airflow, however.

I actually only use the motor and blower from the HF. They are mounted to the wall near the ceiling in a corner of my shop. An Oneida super dust deputy is below them and it discharges into a large home made box on wheels below it. The blower discharges outside and sucks through 5 inch snap lock piping. I use flex only when I have to. There isn't any visible discharge on the bushes outside unless I let the sawdust box overflow.

Discharging outside eliminates the flow loss of filtration. Minimizing flex improves airflow.

It would be possible to do something like this and have it be portable except for the exterior exhaust. Giving up the corner of my shop worked out well.

I would look into a 3hp + / 14" + impeller size if going through the trouble of switching DCs, modifying, buying nice filters. I don't think you are going to gain much going from the Delta to even a modified HF.

I had the HF unit for a few years, basically spec'd as you outlined above and even then it was really just marginal. It was not mobile, but I had the expandable 4" hose from Rockler and moved it from tool to tool.
    Still waters run deep.

My gut feeling is that Delta -> HF wouldn't be worth the $$. Checking amps on both motors might give some insight. Also, check the diameter of the fan on both units. Larger fans should move more air and result in more motor amp draw. I put a Thien baffle in the funnel of a "2 H.P." Penn State unit. That saves space and seems like it should save some flow loss compared to a stand alone "top hat" with its flexible duct. There are no planer sized chips in the cartridge filter and not much finer dust. I agree with Jim Dwight to minimize flexible duct but that depends on your shop configuration. Venting outside I think depends on your climate.I have a Wynn cartridge filter which seems to work pretty well but still needs to be removed periodically. This filter is 100% spun bond construction and can be washed out with a garden hose. I did learn to allow several days for the filter to dry if washing it out. I don't know how I'd use a can so use a heavy clear bag and empty it when it gets about half full into a larger bag. It's easier to maneuver between the supports when it's not as full and I think the separation is better when there is more distance between the chips/dust and the D.C.s metal funnel. I'll attach a couple pics what I did. One thing I would do differently would be to bevel the ends of the slot in the baffle. I'm sure there's some turbulence and loss of separation efficiency there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are thinking about doing all these upgrades I recommend just buying a used unit. Your budget? Something like 2-3hp with a cyclone. Sell the delta and move on. Anything that is 240 volts only should be an improvement.
    Craigs list search tip "dust". no other words, title only.
    BilL D.
    https://houston.craigslist.org/tls/d...647497630.html

https://victoriatx.craigslist.org/tl...651101957.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...651523457.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...641247723.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/...647689399.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-06-2023 at 2:43 AM.