Thread: Micro-mesh versus Mirka Abralon

Micro-mesh versus Mirka Abralon

I've used Micro-mesh for a long time with great results on "rubbing out", but not on waterborne poly. Shellac mainly.

I've come across new directions which call for Mirka Abralon on the waterborne. I realize that qualified people may specify items with which they have a relationship, and I am absolutely fine with that, as long as the end results are there.

So I'm taking some Abralon pads out for a drive, and they seem to be doing ducky on the waterborne.

Questions: Are these two products functionally equivalent? Regardless of finish media? Any "gotchas" out there awaiting me? As in - I can use either in place of the other?

Thanks

With your prior guidance on my waterborne application efforts, I'm happy to report back that everything so far is tickety-boo.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Glad you're happy with the Abralon, Kent. My experience with it on Arm-R-Seal found the lifespan was very short, as in minutes, and not many at that. I've never used Micro Mesh, but I'd try it first next time if the need arises. In the meantime, I've gone back to sandpaper up to 2000 grit and then automotive polishing compounds for higher sheen. Truth be told, I rarely rub out waterborne products as the finish of the gun is so good. With manual application, however, I understand the need if you want a top quality look. Let us know how it goes.

John

Grateful, as always John. You've been looking over my shoulder for a decade+

Micro mesh with water lube is great on shellac. I have a couple back-sides of table ops to try it on the waterborne. Guidance screams in all caps : do NOT use water as a lube on waterborne. So I've got some GF finishing wax that's great. Dunno lifespan yet, but cruised though 2 @ 20 x 20 tests. 10+ day cure.

Wish I had spray gear and talent - maybe some day

Can you share your automotive polishing products/sequence? Was looking around the Menzerna universe earlier. I figure there's opportunity there at much less $ than the GF finishing wax, but it's not a pennies-sensitive issue for me, so I'm cautious.

Thanks again, sir.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent, I use micromesh on guitar bodies finished with Target Coatings waterborne finishes. And I use water for lubrication. There's zero issue with that. "Water" is not a solvent for the waterborne finish...it's the carrier. The finish cures chemically as the water flashes off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Micromesh Ive always used wet. And it had decent life as long as you let it dry out before shoving it in a ziplock(mine got moldy). I have some Abralon pads that are so far unused but the abralon media is the same that is on the abranet discs and I do very much like that. My assumption with the previosly mentioned shortlife is that it was being used dry. If you keep it wet it wont clog as easily

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kent, I use micromesh on guitar bodies finished with Target Coatings waterborne finishes. And I use water for lubrication. There's zero issue with that. "Water" is not a solvent for the waterborne finish...it's the carrier. The finish cures chemically as the water flashes off.
    Jim - good to know. Thanks. I got my guidance from Jeff J on Homestead's and GF's sites. I didn't understand the science behind it, but both places were very clear [yuk]. So I said - sure - I can follow that rule.

I take it back I have used the listed set of 5. I have 2 sets but have polished out 30 or so Epoxy boards with them 1 each of 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 grit.
    They last very well. Dry with extractor hooked up.

I keep air to blow them off every minute or so

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Micromesh Ive always used wet. And it had decent life as long as you let it dry out before shoving it in a ziplock(mine got moldy). I have some Abralon pads that are so far unused but the abralon media is the same that is on the abranet discs and I do very much like that. My assumption with the previosly mentioned shortlife is that it was being used dry. If you keep it wet it wont clog as easily

George - yeah - gotcha - I've used the micromesh a lot with water lube on shellac. Works great. I keep a sequenced set together with a black binder clip, and when they need a cleaning I toss them in a ladies mesh umentionables zippered laundry bag and have them run through the laundry.

Thanks for the info on the abralon media v micro mesh. I kind of "figured" that, but did not "know".

I've only used the micromesh dry one time. Nope - that ain't right.

I will someday figure out an easier way to ID the used disc grit, rather than holding them up to a bright light and squinting.

You can use it with mineral spirits if you wish, but I've not had any issues with plain water. I don't want to use MS because there's may be the chance that an additional clear coat needs to be applied if there are defects "bad enough" revealed with the early, coarser abrasives and MS can leave behind a little bit of oily contaminates. It doesn't matter for oil based, but can matter for waterborne which means more work for further cleaning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agreed I don't use MS at all.

The instructions say GF Satin Finishing Wax, which I did, and it works great. I mean GREAT. A bit $$ though, so I queried John on his preference for automotive compounds. They gotta be half the $$

It must have some distillates in it, but not a lot ,and it doesn't take much for the buffing out.

Thanks as always, Jim