Thread: How to use a powermatic mortiser

How to use a powermatic mortiser

I got one and bought the premium chisel from Lee Valley.

I can't set the handle so that it brings the chisel all the way down. If I set the handle at 2 o'clock (looking at it from the side) it nearly reaches the bottom, but not quite. But even then I can barely get the handle to come around.

I made some mortises and it cuts will, but won't go to the bottom.

The instruction don't address this. It really isn't functional like this, and since the machine gets good reviews I must be doing something wrong, but I sure don't know what. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Model#? Post some pictures and maybe someone will have some useful advice. If it's a fixed bed unit maybe you need to build up the base, if it's adjustable raise the table. The machine head ought to have at least a 4" of travel but maybe this is an oddball.

possibly there is a riser block installed?

Richard

Just about every mortiser has a type of stopping mechanism for depth of cut.
    Look on the left side of the column, usually a rod with stop knobs of some kind or another.

This is the mortiser
    https://powermatic.com/1791310
    yes, there is a stop block, but I have it set all the way at the bottom.
    It won't go down because the handle hits the base of the machine.
    It has 5" of travel as I have it set up. It claims 5.8" of travel, and I am sure it would have if the handle didn't hit the base first.

If I rotate the handle attachment from 2 o'clock to 3:30 it will work, but I am not tall or strong enough to use it then. There has to be another solution.

Wade, if the handle is hitting the base, your options are either screw the handle into a different position or try a smaller handle (with less leverage).

Personally, for through work, I would use a sacrificial material instead of drilling into the table. And doing so raises the work (perhaps enough?).

What are you trying to do that you need more than 5" of travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    This is the mortiser
    https://powermatic.com/1791310
    yes, there is a stop block, but I have it set all the way at the bottom.
    It won't go down because the handle hits the base of the machine.
    It has 5" of travel as I have it set up. It claims 5.8" of travel, and I am sure it would have if the handle didn't hit the base first.

If I rotate the handle attachment from 2 o'clock to 3:30 it will work, but I am not tall or strong enough to use it then. There has to be another solution.
    Most chisels are 3" or less in length, so that plus a fraction is the practical limit of travel needed. Can you set the handle to get that long a stroke? Do the ways need adjustment or lubrication?

A through mortise in material thicker than the chisel length requires cutting from both faces.

Wade, the base of the handle (where it attaches to the mortiser) pulls out (away from the body) and can be reindexed in a higher or lower position.

That's how the mortiser is adjusted for the height of the work piece since the table can't be raised or lowered like a drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Wade, if the handle is hitting the base, your options are either screw the handle into a different position or try a smaller handle (with less leverage).

Personally, for through work, I would use a sacrificial material instead of drilling into the table. And doing so raises the work (perhaps enough?).
    That makes sense; a sacrificial piece would also prevent tear out (which I assume is a problem). Thanks.

Keegan is on it. It’s a giant version of those little plastic spring-loaded handles

Edit - if you can’t pull the handle base far enough out to clear the internal blocks, you might need to loosen the center bolt a bit to gain room. This should be a one-time adjustment

ALWAYS use a backer board when through mortising