Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Next IT Contest Rules

The Next IT Contest Rules

Welcome to our latest and greatest Turning Forum Contest

The Next IT.

INNOVATION ~ “The Act of Introducing Something New”

IT stands for Innovative Turning with the fundamental premise of turning an object that possesses Functionality as well as Asthetics. The Next IT Contest offers the opportunity for contestants to test their woodworking skills while exercising their imagination.

A generous and anonymous donation of a $250 Gift Certificate from Woodcraft is being offered up as First Prize, and Keith Outten is personally providing Award Plaques for all prizes.

The following list is the dreaded RULES. These rules do not exist to inflict oppression on the working class…They are intended to create an even playing field for those of you who wish to participate. Deviation from the rules will simply result in disqualification of your entry, so please make sure you meet all the requirements. Feel Free to post your questions in this thread...But Please DO NOT Post your entries here.

All Entries must be posted in the NEXT IT ENTRIES Thread

To Enter the contest, please design and build something Functional and Innovative, using mostly turning techniques.

Example: To turn the housing for a Clock Face would qualify for Functionality…But Turning all the gears and gizmos for a new type of clock would be quite Innovative. It is up to your personal judgment whether something is Innovative, but it is up to the judges to decide whose entry is the “Most Innovative”

RULES
    1. Timeline for the contest is 00:01am, February 1, 2006 to 00:01, March 1, 2006.

2. Submission of entries can be made anytime during the contest timeline.

3. Judging will be based on the following criteria
    • Innovation
    • Creativity
    • Percentage of Turned Components
    • Asthetics
    • Craftsmanship
    4. Your entry must include a pictorial and narrative description of the process you undertook to create your masterpiece. You must include 3 final Presentation Pics with 3 views for final judging as well.

5. Your entry may include Flatwork and whatever gadgets you would like to incorporate into the piece.

6. Departure from wood is acceptable, such as plastics. However, greater consideration on the part of the judges will be given based on “wood content”…as this is a woodworking forum.

Special Note on Rule #4
    It is extremely important that you document your journey. This contest is not just a way for members to vie for a prize….It is a way for all Sawmill Creek participants to enjoy and perhaps learn new techniques and innovations. (Everybody Wins)

Special Note on Rule #5
    Incorporation of Flatwork. This contest is intended to exercise Innovative Turning, thus, the use of Flatwork is discouraged. It is understood that Flatwork is a necessity in many cases so please feel free to incorporate where you see fit. We highly recommend that you limit your flatwork to 20% as a general suggestion. The more Turning, the more consideration will be given.

Here are the Awards:

Best Of Show – Best execution of all Contest Criteria

Innovation – Based on Originality (Combined categories excluded)

Asthetics – Based on material choice and overall attractiveness (Combined categories excluded)

Total Turning – Based on percentage of Turned Elements and Turning Execution (Combined categories excluded)

Basically, what the awards signify is that The Best Of Show nails everything…No One Person will be awarded twice and awards will be decided in the order shown. What this means is that if Joe wins Best of Show, he may not win Asthetics, even though his work may be the most pleasing as well. If Susie is awarded Innovation, she is no longer eligible for Total Turning, even if her work is 100% Turned and great craftsmanship.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by John Hart; 02-01-2006 at 8:12 AM.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks John, I'm off and Inovatin.

Sure hope everyone joins in on this one, sure is going to be fun.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Alright then. Guess I'm going to have to go find some dry wood. Pretty cool John.

Ernie

Exclamation Good luck!!!

".... and they're off!" Good luck to all! Most importantly, have fun with it!

I've made this, as well as John's sample posting a "Sticky" on this forum and they will remain as such until the end of the contest, so that it's easy for everyone to find. Good luck to all the entrants!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, can this be something that was previously built, before the contest was announced?

Thanks John M!! Whew! I got my example entry posted and goofed up the pictures then had to do them all over again. Sheesh!!! Hmmm now what am I going to do for an entry????
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    John, can this be something that was previously built, before the contest was announced?
    Nope sorry Carole. The rule that sorta prevented it was the way the pics have to be presented. The idea was to give everyone a month to do it...giving everyone an even playing field. I suppose someone could bypas that....but I doubt this group would consider it.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Nope sorry Carole. The rule that sorta prevented it was the way the pics have to be presented. The idea was to give everyone a month to do it...giving everyone an even playing field. I suppose someone could bypas that....but I doubt this group would consider it.
    ok. I just wanted that clarified.

Carole, the required "how I did it" pictures would also make it difficult to enter a previously completed piece...unless you either were very anal or have a working time machine...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Good luck to all of you. Seeing as I don't do any turning I can cheer everyone on.

GO Turners GO

Carole brought up a good point.

I guess we should have stated in the contest rules that

- each contest entry must be started from scratch and submitted to SMC for judging strictly between the contest start / end time and date as outlined in the contest rules. No entry can be one of past projects to be considered as an official contest entry.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

John,
    May one submit more than one entry?
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    John,
    May one submit more than one entry?
    Frank
    Yes...You can enter as many times as you like!
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by dennis kranz
    Good luck to all of you. Seeing as I don't do any turning I can cheer everyone on.

GO Turners GO
    Uh Oh Andy here's another one
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

One more thing......

Not necessarily as a RULE....but just common courtesy......

<B>When a person starts posting their IT project in the thread, please do NOT post until they state that they are finished posting all their details and photos. </B>

This will make it a lot more organized for judging as well as for those viewers and learners who want to follow the project to completition in case they want to try their hands at making the same type project.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.