Thread: Power Feeder Recommendations

Power Feeder Recommendations

I have 4 Powermatic model 26 shapers in my shop. Each one is setup to do a different function. Currently 1 has a 3 wheel Maggi/Steff 1 HP vario-speed power feeder on the shaper. I want to purchase another power feeder for doing long raised panels for interior doors. I was considering purchasing a 4 wheel 4 speed power feeder for doing the long raised panels. I thought having 2 wheels on the infeed side and 2 wheels on the outfeed side would result in better stability and a better cut However, I'm wondering if that is overkill for the size of the shaper since it would take up the entire table top of the shaper. Additionally, I plan on setting 2 of the other shapers as the infeed and outfeed tables to support the long raised panels. Would I be better off with another 3 wheel or go with the 4 wheel. Wondering if I'm over thinking this. Any recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Blog Entries
    I'm running a few 3 wheel feeders on vfds for varible speed. If I were to buy a feeder (new) it would be a comatic dc40. All of my shapers are larger than a pm26 but even so I think I'd still go witn a 4 wheel over a 3 wheel (again if buying new

I consider lots of wheels to be for short work. The grab of the tires is what’s most important. For years some feeders were sold with
    with worthless no grip wheels, and some shops just threw them in a drawer and bought good tires. Color used to tell the grip, I guess
    it still does.

My vote is for the Comatic dc40

I can say coming from an old and slightly busted 3 wheel, 8 speed Italian feeder initially and now having a Comatic DC40 for the last year-ish that it’s an absolute joy to use and adjust. I do not have the smart stand and never used one in person, so can’t speak to that other than what I have seen online, but the DC40 is superb and been very dependable / rock solid for me. I was lucky enough to find a new in box model on the secondhand market for a good bit less than new, but was already saving up to buy a new one when that deal came along.

4 wheels are nice to be able to split the cutterhead in between the middle, I will say.
    Still waters run deep.

Another vote for the Comatic DC40 which is what I want to upgrade my Maggi 3 wheeler.

The DC40 can be ordered in a variety of input voltages since it converts that to DC for the variable speed function.

Curious as to why you wouldn’t make infeed/outfeed tables from extrusion or a torsion box? I made a couple for my shaper to make door parts and baseboard.

Greg

I have a CoMatic DC40 and really like it. Having 4 wheels that can be replaced with half-width wheels (split design) makes setup easier and feeding more reliable.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Gentlemen, thanks for your quick replies. All of you have convinced me to go with Comatic DC40. I was not familiar with that power feeder prior to my posting this thread. I also read the archives and it appears to be latest and greatest with mostly outstanding reviews. I like the fact that single phase is not a $100 upcharge like it is with Maggi/Steff and it is variable speed. The split design with the wheels is also a plus. Additionally, Shop Gear Inc. has it on sale right now for $1479 plus $119 shipping. I don't think I need to Smart stand as it will be on a dedicated shaper. The up charge on the stand is almost the cost of another power feeder.