Thread: What to make with these?

What to make with these?

I unloaded about 500 bf of black walnut from my kiln today. Here's a photo of some of the nicest 8/4 stuff. The ones on top are 12" wide. The ones below are 18" with no sapwood. These came from a tree that was nearly 36" at the base. I'll probably never get another walnut tree with such great, wide lumber. Now, what to make that takes advantage of boards this wide? Any recommendations?

John

John,
    WOW. Big tables, built-in cases for living rooms and libraries. I wish I had such decisions to make.

Good god John that is some amazingly beautiful looking Walnut.. I bought 250 bd ft of 5/4 air dried Walnut that was 12 - 16 inch wide and clear, I used the lumber to build two Queen Anne highboys, god it was beautiful stuff.

The only thing I can think of that would do justice to the lovely 8/4 Walnut you have, is some kind of table top. I know Walnut kitchen countertops are the rage, but I would have a tough time using that lumber for countertops…

Agreed, I can't see using it on something so pedestrian as a kitchen countertop even though it would look beautiful, indeed. I'll have 4 or 5 of those wide 8/4 boards after I give the guy I got the logs from his half. That should still be enough to use for some statement type of project. Nothing has struck my fancy yet, however, but I'm sure inspiration will come along at some point. Thanks for your input.

John

Entertainment stand or media console. I see a lot of walnut record player stands.

Most things I can think of require less than 8/4 and it seems a waste to thin it down too much. You could resaw for bookmatched cabinet doors or the like but some of those are probable too wide to resaw with common sized bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    ........ so pedestrian as a kitchen countertop even though it would look beautiful, indeed.

John
    See - that is exactly why I would do it. The "you did WHAT?" factor. The "you'll never again have that chance" spot on the time-space continuum. Many people would not know the underlying insanity, but you will.

You've shared with us a lot of great work, and I'll guess it is just a portion of the portfolio. Do something completely off the hook, that is only for yourself. Walk by it and smile or cringe - both are equivalent reactions in this instance.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCue View Post
    Entertainment stand or media console. I see a lot of walnut record player stands.

Most things I can think of require less than 8/4 and it seems a waste to thin it down too much. You could resaw for bookmatched cabinet doors or the like but some of those are probable too wide to resaw with common sized bandsaw.
    I have 16" resaw capacity on my shop bandsaw and I could always use the sawmill, which gives me 22", so I do have options in that regard.

My friend has made a couple of Hal Taylor chairs from walnut and cherry stock I gave him. Those use 8/4 stock. Not sure he's going to be making anymore chairs, however. Some kind of cabinet with swoopy sides and front, cut from thick planks might be fitting. I agree, cutting down 8/4 stock seems like a waste, although I have done so several times when slicing veneer to get perfectly matched panels.

John

Might be good for big carvings. Use them for chest sides, drawer fronts, wall art. Not up for a big carving challenge? consider CNC.

I have a CNC, Tom, so that's a possibility for some of it. The single board chest sides, and top, is what I'm leaning towards, maybe one with sculpted sides to take full advantage of those 8/4 boards.

John

Bookcases. They will become heirlooms.
    Or how about a High Boy?
    Or a Sam Maloof style rocking chair?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Bookcases. They will become heirlooms.
    Or how about a High Boy?
    Or a Sam Maloof style rocking chair?
    Thanks Fred. No heirs so I don't need to think about heirlooms. I have a friend who builds beautiful Hal Taylor chairs, and he made one from some walnut I gifted to him a few years ago. Sadly, he's probably made his last chair.

John