Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more hot dogs can be saved

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    At the risk of being argumentative, or obtuse, I thought that the "Euro- Slider", as we affectionately refer to it here, was an engineered solution to prevent the hands ever needing to be near the blade?
    I'm all in on making machines safer for use, and this looks like a nice safety system, but what is the function being performed that it is protecting against?
    Mike, while a slider certainly provides the opportunity to reduce the amount of cuts that have hands near the blade, it doesn't completely remove those instances. Sliders are used for more than just chopping up bigh sheets of plywood, including some traditional ripping when it's the best way to accomplish the task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim

Thank you.
    Through the years I've seen all of the fancy jigs made for sliders, here on the forum. In ignorance, I just assumed that there was never a need to get your hand anywhere close to the blade.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Jim

Thank you.
    Through the years I've seen all of the fancy jigs made for sliders, here on the forum. In ignorance, I just assumed that there was never a need to get your hand anywhere close to the blade.
    Keep in mind - the now infamous Ryobi law suit came about because the operator chose to listen to his boss and use equipment that had all the safety devices disabled or removed and he was using it in a 100% unsafe manner.

Even when the manufacturer takes reasonable steps to make sure they put out a safe product, they still have to figure in the "stupid" and "greed" factors.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

This just feels like troll bait. A. Sliders are awesome, B. SawStop sucks / greeedy / too expensive.

Everyone must be tired from the weekend.

Jim

Thank you.
    My goal is always to try and make cuts where my hands are as far from the spinning blade as possible for sure. But there are just some times when...you can't. So you do what you can to make it as safe as possible, using a push block/push stick, etc. Many of the fixtures also help with safety while also facilitating the best cut quality possible by leveraging the slider wagon that moves the material through the cut rather than one's hands. It's a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    This just feels like troll bait. A. Sliders are awesome, B. SawStop sucks / greeedy / too expensive.

Everyone must be tired from the weekend.
    There certainly are folks who "don't appreciate" how the originator of Sawstop handled things (he's been out of the picture for a long time now) and there are certainly folks who like/prefer sliding table saws. In the end, it doesn't matter...what does matter is that each of us finds the way that works best for us individually to do woodworking safely so we can enjoy it fully.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-17-2023 at 9:22 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Of all my tools my TS is the one I fear the most, I just do everything I can to keep and my hand out of the line of 'fire'. Sadly I have to admit I don't have the same fear with my bandsaw and that is crazy because they use bandsaws in meat processing. I have cut some of the tiniest pieces on my bandsaw and later thought...you're crazy. So I taped a sign that hangs down over my BS blade (like a remove before flight thing) that says "This tool is also dangerous" keep me in line
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

One meter travel per second?? 39" per second?? I know I am getting old, but cannot ever imagine feeding anything at that rate.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    One meter travel per second?? 39" per second?? I know I am getting old, but cannot ever imagine feeding anything at that rate.
    How about falling into a blade? I bet that is that fast, or faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    How about falling into a blade? I bet that is that fast, or faster.
    I could see someone ripping big pieces of really thin material, over and over again, going that fast too.