Thread: Need advice on drop leaf hinges

Need advice on drop leaf hinges

Hi folks,

I need help picking the right hinge for a drop leaf table with a relatively large leaf (40" wide x 20" "deep")

The client, to whom I'm married, would like the drop leaves to tuck under the table top when folded vertically down, and doesn't like rule joints because they look old-fashioned. (I agree). I've included a picture of an old MCM table with this design.

The table in the picture has some sort of articulated hinge. I've tried this one: Flush Hinge but it doesn't support the leaf much once extended.

One solution, I suppose, is to add drop leaf supports like this: Metal Drop Leaf Support, but that's kind of clunky. Does anyone have any experience with another solution for this situation?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam Shankar; 07-16-2023 at 10:46 AM.

You'll want to check restaurant supply houses and search for pop up table bracket. I think that may suit your need.

Edit: I did a quick Google search but not much came up. Look for a local restaurant supplier. They should have the brackets in stock - is a very common item in that industry. They use them to make square table for 4 into round tables for 6. Very sturdy as they're made for that environment.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 07-16-2023 at 10:59 AM.

You mean something like this? Folding Worktop Wall Brackets - Rockler

Is the edge square or is it a rule joint?

I use these for building ADA compliant tables in restaurants. The are very strong, but can be difficult close for the uninitiated. They also can be like installing an armed bear trap if your not careful.Rok Hardware Drop Leaf Table Hinge and Leaf Support, Flap-Top Hinges for Drop Leaf Table, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/0xVgVEj

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I use these for building ADA compliant tables in restaurants. The are very strong, but can be difficult close for the uninitiated. They also can be like installing an armed bear trap if your not careful.Rok Hardware Drop Leaf Table Hinge and Leaf Support, Flap-Top Hinges for Drop Leaf Table, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/0xVgVEj
    Exactly what I was thinking of. I’ve used them in the distant past and they worked fine.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks all! I'll take a look at these.

That's exactly the hinge I was referring to. And yes, not finger-friendly for the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post