Thread: Rubio Monocoat on Kitchen Island

Rubio Monocoat on Kitchen Island

I need/want to get Rubio Oil 2C on a kitchen island to match some other finishes in a house/room. I’m very familiar with the application process on tabletops, flat panels, etc. But, my worry is with getting it onto vertical surfaces. Usually, I just pour some on use a spreader and get it pretty good smeared around and then rub it in with a white pad and go from there. This seems to be a lot more difficult when the panel is vertical and I can’t easily pour it without making a big mess (maybe it can be done carefully)

Putting some finish directly onto the pad seems to not work as it soaks in too much and I do t get good coverage. I’m almost thinking a well saturated magic eraser type sponge at the outset to get the initial “smear”. Any suggestions before I get started? I already did the insides of the cabinet/island with shellac.

I realize a lot of my posts on here are in regards to Rubio…sometimes I may contribute some helpful tips, but usually it’s questions; so thanks guys.

Haven't tried it with Rubio, but I have used a fiber pad applicator like this: https://www.grainger.com/product/39A...c=ds&gclsrc=ds
    to apply waterborne varnish of various types to large flat surfaces and had good luck.

The only precaution is that you have to be fastidious about vacuuming out loose fibers before use. I follow that up with a loop of tape to pull out any the vacuum doesn't get. A few fibers will still show up on the surface, but since you are rubbing the finish in with white pads anyway, it shouldn't be a problem.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I use a small piece of white pad to apply it to vertical surfaces. It seems to do the job well.

John