Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

17 Jul 2023

Greetings,
    Rain, storms, and then hot and humid. No real time in the shop except for getting to the lawn mower, weedeater, and backpack blower. The day job eats most of my time anymore and I can't seem to get time in the shop and to be honest, I don't "want" to get in the shop with this humidity and hot temps. I'm looking forward to mid-fall, winter, and spring. Then I can get some good enjoyable time in the shop. The LOML has started another class on Grant Writing at the local college. She has 2 more that she has signed up for and these are self-paced classes and specialized for what she is wanting to do. I will need to replace my natural gas heater in the shop this year as the Modine heater that's in there is getting very hard to find parts for, so I guess it's time to change it out.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Built a handicap ramp and cut down a leveled parking area into the hill beside the dock at the rental house. We have one of the few ADA compliant lake houses for rent, so just trying to make this easier too. We get a large percentage of rentals for folks who need such access. You can drive right to the edge of the water at the "beach" in the end of the cove too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Made the first cut with my new Onefinity CNC. Just practice on mdf, but it's a start. Excited to move forward.
    Dennis, if you're going to replace the heater, you should consider a mini-split, so you could cool the shop, as well.

I actually did some stuff in the shop this past week...

Completed a leash organizer for Oliver to get all the stuff off my nice English brown oak hall table finally. I'll call this a prototype for now so we can see how it works out, but so far, it's doing the job nicely. Black walnut, red-dyed resin and black paint.

IMG_5203.jpg

Also did some CNC work for a friend and then while I was in the CNC mood, got started on my drawer organization (finally) with the "easy" one...all the Centrotec stuff plus some blade related stuff. "Easy" because I had taken care of a lot of this previously in HDU, but in two pieces and for a different sized drawer. I've acquired some more tooling, so it was time to do it a little better. The next ones will be harder because it's all new, "from scratch" design to accomodate a whole bunch of hand tools.

IMG_E5222.jpg

Got started today on a small table project...a new top for a cheap, old end table with folding leaves that we use/need on our back porch. I'll be doing a thread on that, but the old painted MDF top that was beyond repair is getting replaced with a bamboo top.

Lastly, I put together this small teak porch furniture set acquired from the Orange Borg for the seating area on our three season porch. Yes, I bought it. The price was right and we need the utility "now" since we got rid of the metal table and chairs after the big new eating table was completed. Oliver isn't complaining about it, either. (You can see the table I'm rebuilding in that photo, too)

IMG_5233.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The pair of saw bench stools are pretty much done, the next bench is pretty much done, the next next bench is started.

Framing the back yard cottage project- got the slab poured last Friday.

Had a birthday- 69. Injured myself last week- cleaning the rain gutters with a leaf blower. A couple of extension cords strung together to reach. Whipping on the hung up cord and it flew back and hit me just above the eyebrow. Solid blow and a cut that bled a lot & took a butterfly to close. My eyebrow is still somewhat numb. I was using a poor cord that I don't normally use with low grip strength. A battery powered rig might be better.

IMG_4313.jpgIMG_4314.jpgIMG_4315.jpegIMG_4302.jpg

Jim that some nice work. I made a similar tray by hand once with about 1/4 of each hole double deep that way I could push the end of a bit and it would flip up so I can get my big fingers on it. The idea worked great on every bit over 1/8" or so, the smaller ones fell into the holes on their own. My next one I did like yours on the cnc 1/4" deep so i can get them.

Monday I took delivery of my cabinet materials 18 sheets of 3/4, 8 sheets of 1/4, 6 sheets of 1/2" mdf. Offloaded onto a cart, rolled into shop, took off cart, relocated once delivery driver was gone, stood up the 1/2 and 1/4, cut up 12 sheets of the 3/4, relocated the 1/4, stood up the remaining 6 sheets of 3/4, and been crying ever since.

Sorry to here about your incident Cameron. The face will bleed. I got hit with a hockey stick on the eyebrow once and cut to the bone. Didnt hurt at all but bled alot.

George, the organizations things are not all that difficult to make with the CNC...at least for these 'straight and thin' things. I do 10mm deep with the finger relief at 15mm. It makes for a clean file with the majority of cutting with the .25" endmill and final passes with a .25" ball nose. I'm sure that "pliers" will be a whole lot of fun if I were going to put them flat but I may not since those drawers are deeper.

Cameron, heal quickly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...