Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD or Phase Converter for 3 phase jointer planer combo?

VFD or Phase Converter for 3 phase jointer planer combo?

Im going to be picking up a used 3 phase Felder AD941 jointer planer combo and only have single phase power in my shop. Ive read alot about the different options, but want some real world feedback on what is the best route to go with to get the machine powered up. It is a 4kw/5.3hp three phase motor.

Is a VFD the best bet, or a rotary phase converter?

Thanks in advance!

A vfd can give you soft start in case your amperage is low for 5.53 Hp. You can even run it on a 3hp vfd if you do not have enough power to run it. I would guess 30 amp/240 volt or more single phase.
    Do you have 50 amps or more into your shop to cover the planer/dc/lights all at once.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-22-2023 at 9:03 PM.

The machine has an electronic control for the height of the planer bed, is there any downside to running that with a lower powered vfd?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Moore View Post
    The machine has an electronic control for the height of the planer bed, is there any downside to running that with a lower powered vfd?
    Check the name plate on the motor and also check the wiring diagram. Not unusual for a single phase motor for that. VFDs for 5.5hp motors get really pricey.

You might want to join and check the files section of the Felder User's group. I cannot recall the considerations with your machine as mine are older than that.

Before getting three phase installed I had both rotary phase converters and vfd powered J/P machines and found the VFD powered (3hp) machine was lacking in power.

One possibility is that spending now for a phase converter opens the door for future used industrial machine upgrades.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 07-23-2023 at 12:09 AM.

I had another thought about your machine:

You can use a VFD, but I wouldn’t underrate it. As it is 5.5 hp isn't crazy powerful on a 16” planer. If you go with a VFD you will have to provide single phase to the power drive controls, possibly via a transformer. The actual rise/fall motor is DC and that sub-system uses single phase power and converts it. I would contact Felder for the correct voltages needed for the rise/fall.

Greg

I've found that electronic height control great on my Felder planer, but finicky as it has been blowing its fuses lately. Cost me an unnecessary repair/motor replacement instead of a $3 fuse.

I wouldn't underrate the VFD. Mine is through an amply powered Phase Perfect, and I still had those issues.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Moore View Post
    I'm no expert, but I recall reading that a typical VFD isn't compatible with the complex electronics in a machine, particularly the Felder machines. I'd also highly suggest that you ask this question in the Felder Owners Group (https://groups.io/g/felderownersgroup). An option that I know will work is to go with a solid state phase converter from Phase Perfect and there's a current thread in the the group on those options.

Mike

What Mike said ^^^

To the OP: You will need either a rotary converter or a Phase Perfect. Hope this helps.

Erik

There is probably a way to wire a VFD (or multiple VFDs) to do what you’re wanting regarding controlling the bed rise and fall (or maybe that part could be single phase and is being phase converted internally already ?) but it’s not straightforward like using a VFD for a single motor and bypassing onboard machine controls. I would use an RPC or phase perfect and consider going larger than 5 hp capacity so you can take advantage of it for future 3 phase machines that may be available.
    Still waters run deep.

If it's in your budget I would opt for a slightly oversize rotary/ phase perfect over a VFD. Unless you are positive that you will never own a second 3 phase machine down the road I would rather be ready. Switching a VFD from machine to machine is not easy. Where as you put outlets near each piece of equipment as needed wired to the phase converter. You just can't run two machines at once unless your rotary can handle the load of both machines.

ive run five machines off a roto at once to try it and see amps. Not underload I only have two hands. Total amps was way lower than it would have added up, there is a ballast effect I dont know about or understand and seen little info on it. they somehow help each other. 10 HP Roto.

Many add a big disk sander or dust collector three phase motors as extra idler motors. You can use a tablesaw that way as well but make sure the blade is down.
    Bill D

I have an unused rotary sitting here now. I've sold all my 3ph machines, the semiauto lathe was the last to go.
    This converter would run the lathe, it having a 2hp and a 3hp motor, plus a 3ph collector.

I've never used a VDF setup.
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 07-23-2023 at 11:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    There is probably a way to wire a VFD (or multiple VFDs) to do what you’re wanting regarding controlling the bed rise and fall (or maybe that part could be single phase and is being phase converted internally already ?) but it’s not straightforward like using a VFD for a single motor and bypassing onboard machine controls. I would use an RPC or phase perfect and consider going larger than 5 hp capacity so you can take advantage of it for future 3 phase machines that may be available.
    purportedly it is very complex for a Felder not because of the two motors, but because of all of the other electronics. @Erik Loza was a rep for Felder; he knows these machines; he was a rep also for another major Italian machinery company; take his advice. Do screw this up; buy what will make this machine sing. Cry once.

Mike