Thread: Arbor on table saw spins while tryiing to put nut on.

Arbor on table saw spins while tryiing to put nut on.

I was changing back from my dado blades to a 10" rip blade on my Grizzly 1023L table saw. Normally I can spin the nut on until it touches the blade. Now the Arbor easily spins clockwise as I try to turn the nut. I must have spent 15 minutes figuring out how to elegantly grab the arbor to stop it from spinning while tightening the nut. Once tightened, the arbor and table saw seemed to run and cut normally. What's going on? Is the Armature worn or ? Needs new motor? I could probably figure out a better way to freeze the arbor while putting a nut on it. But that's not a real fix. I would prefer to "fix" the problem. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I was changing back from my dado blades to a 10" rip blade on my Grizzly 1023L table saw. Normally I can spin the nut on until it touches the blade. Now the Arbor easily spins clockwise as I try to turn the nut. I must have spent 15 minutes figuring out how to elegantly grab the arbor to stop it from spinning while tightening the nut. Once tightened, the arbor and table saw seemed to run and cut normally. What's going on? Is the Armature worn or ? Needs new motor? I could probably figure out a better way to freeze the arbor while putting a nut on it. But that's not a real fix. I would prefer to "fix" the problem. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Don M
    I guess maybe it's just habit built over many years of changing blades, but I always have a wrench on the arbor while spinning the nut on.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I thinking you over tightened the nut and distorted the threads in the nut. Now you have an interference fit and it spins the shaft. Buy a new nut from Grizzly.

I would say inspect your threads, check your belt tension and either find or buy an arbor wrench for your saw.

I have an arbor wrench for the saw. The problem is that when I use it or hand spin the nut, either way the arbor spins in the direction you are applying. A new nut from Grizzly is easy enough to do, I'll get one on order tonight. The belt tension test I haven't done yet, will give that a go next. Thanks guys for the input, much appreciated.

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

I have an arbor wrench for the saw. The problem is that when I use it or hand spin the nut, either way the arbor spins in the direction you are applying. A new nut from Grizzly is easy enough to do, I'll get one on order tonight. The belt tension test I haven't done yet, will give that a go next. Thanks guys for the input, much appreciated.

Don M
    I have found the tech guys at grizzly extremely helpful over the years. Brian

Does the arbor not have wrench flats or a hex recess to hold it from spinning? On my Rockwell I just pinch the belt closed rather then find an allen wrench if needed. I really should drill more hole sin the blade to pin it to the arbor. Then holding the blade will stop the arbor from spinning.
    BilL D

I've never had to hold anything to get a nut to run down to the saw blade. There has to be some thing wrong with the threads somewhere.

Don M
    I wonder if what you're calling the arbor wrench is the arbor nut wrench. My G1023 has narrow flats behind "big washer" where the blade mounts. The wrench is thin but has a wide opening, maybe 1 1/4" or so. I've never had to use it, there's enough resistance to keep the arbor from spinning until the nut is in contact with the blade, at which time I can hold the blade and snug the nut. My arbor nut goes on easily by hand until it contacts the blade assembly.

Blog Entries
    I never hold the arbor with a wrench when tightening the nut on my 1996 G1023, just hold the saw blade by hand and use the wrench on the nut. It self tightens from there. To remove I hold the blade with one of those orange thingies that catches the teeth.
    NOW you tell me...

If the arbor itself is spinning the belt must be broken or has jumped off.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If the arbor itself is spinning the belt must be broken or has jumped off.

John
    Per the OP "Once tightened, the arbor and table saw seemed to run and cut normally. ". I think the nut or arbour threads are damaged or dirty, inspect, clean if dirty or repair or replace if damaged. Hopefully it's not the arbour threads damaged but if so a little touch up with a file may fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Per the OP "Once tightened, the arbor and table saw seemed to run and cut normally. ". I think the nut or arbour threads are damaged or dirty, inspect, clean if dirty or repair or replace if damaged. Hopefully it's not the arbour threads damaged but if so a little touch up with a file may fix it.
    Yep, I forgot that part. Can I blame it on old age?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Yep, I forgot that part. Can I blame it on old age?

John
    Only if you admit to being old.

I would clean both arbor and nut with a fine wire brush. A bottle or gun cleaning brush is good for the inside threads. If that does not fix it I would replace the nut. I would consider the nut a wear item. It should be softer then the arbor. Replacing an arbor is not too bad. I would replace the arbor bearings while I was in there.
    BilL D