Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey new Big Eye rip fence system

I would iexpect it to be priced higher than it should be, that is Harvey's marketing strategy. If they have your email address they hammer you with discounts and flash sales. I looked at the sliding table, put in my cart and went as far as almost ordering it for normal price of $1,300 but didn't. Over the next week or so I got $100-$200 discount codes by email then a 24 hour flash sale email with the sliding table $950, that's 350 bucks off. Have seen other on here post similar. When you r marketing is your gonna do that continually, and yes they hammer you with emails your normal price has to be higher.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I like it a lot, especially that it has a fine adjustment. I miss the fine adjustment feature of the old Powermatic fences.
    I had fine adjustment on my last fence. It was a Vega utility. I let it go when I sold the PM h3 contractor saw and upgraded to a Sawstop. I missed the fine adjustment so much, I installed a dro on the SS fence just for nudging.

I think the 8" Craftsman my Dad bought when I was a kid locked the fence at both ends. My DeWalt portable had rack and pinion to keep it square. Worked pretty good, but I kinda remember doing some work to get the fence face square to the table.

The one issue I see for me would be that you can't easily remove/ lift it off like you can with a Beisemeyer

The Incra LS TS fence system is more accurate, more repeatable, adjustable to a 1000th of an inch and less expensive.

I will not be buying it but appreciate when companies come up with new accessories. Harvey has had several innovative accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    The Incra LS TS fence system is more accurate, more repeatable, adjustable to a 1000th of an inch and less expensive.
    Been using "standard" Biesemeyer & Bessy knock off type fences on different saws and never really thought I needed anything more. IMO the Harvey at almost 1/2 the cost of a complete decent cabinet saw is out of my league. I've never seen the Incra fence if it's solid as a Biesemeyer it seems like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The fact that it provides a high/low fence is a "yuge" plus in my book...that right there would make me interested if I didn't have a saw that had that feature. I run my fence in the "low" position 80+% of the time.
    Agreed, I looked at it online and it looks nicely made.

I wasn’t able to determine if also has short/long capabilities, that would a “yuge” plus as well.

Regards, Rod

Ono thing I would add to my earlier post is this.
    IMO, it has far too many moving parts and parts in general.
    My T-square fence has a small handful and only a couple that move.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Ono thing I would add to my earlier post is this.
    IMO, it has far too many moving parts and parts in general.
    My T-square fence has a small handful and only a couple that move.
    Very good points Edward. I really don't have any complaints in accuracy, squareness or difficulty in use for my existing fence. I just want something for micro adjust and doing a few repeat cuts. I recently did a pretty complex turn-table cabinet that had a lot of waterfall miters and dado positions and I would have loved the ability to have a few stops and a micro adjust. I went ahead and ordered the Woodpeckers rip-flip and extra stop and I'm going to give that a try.

I have a Bies and for very fine adjustments I just use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and set it on the back side of the fence. Zero it before unlocking the fence, then unlock and nudge, relock and check the indicator. You can make an adjustment from 0.001" to whatever. Hardest part is not confusing yourself about which direction to nudge it.

Also, while the Bies fence is pretty sturdy it can flex a little out at the end if you're pushing hard into the fence. So if I feel the need, after locking the fence I'll take another magnetic base and slide it up against the backside of the fence out past the blade and lock it down. Makes it rock solid. Most of the time not necessary.

I use the dial indicator on bandsaw and router table fences as well. And the magnetic base to back up the bandsaw fence for resawing and joinery cuts like tenon cheeks.

When doing segmenting or anything where extremely small measurement are necessary, I use this fro micro-adjustments.
    IMG_6226.jpg

Robert, I like that. I've done the caliper between blade and fence thing but your method sounds way better. Thanks for posting this.

Michael,

I have the rip-flip and I think you'll find it does exactly what you're looking for.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

25 years in the business and it always come back top one thing. A simple, bomb proof t-square is better than anything with multiple points of failure. Now a micro adjustment on a Biessy might intrigue me