Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey new Big Eye rip fence system

Harvey new Big Eye rip fence system

Got an email yesterday about Harvey’s new Big Eye Rip fence system for cabinet saws. I was impressed with the design and features and think it will be a nice fence system. That said I don’t use a cabinet saw since switching to a Felder sliding saw, but I do appreciate innovated design and engineering. https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...p-fence-system

That looks like a pretty awesome fence and if it's constructed anything like their sliding table, it's going to perform well. The only thing I don't really like is that you'll have a good sized gap between the saw and outfeed table. All that being said, I wouldn't replace my biesemeyer.

The fact that it provides a high/low fence is a "yuge" plus in my book...that right there would make me interested if I didn't have a saw that had that feature. I run my fence in the "low" position 80+% of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like it a lot, especially that it has a fine adjustment. I miss the fine adjustment feature of the old Powermatic fences. The trouble, like the old Powermatic round rail fences, is that with the rear lock, it will require a gap between the table saw top and outfeed table.

I can appreciate the engineering BUT it's a bit of a solution looking for a problem. IMHO
    I have a steel T-square style fence on my saw, it's pretty much rock solid. I don't get deflection and I don't ever see putting that much lateral pressure on the tail end of the fence that it needs to lock on the rear rail.

I suppose for those who are obsessed with keeping their fence aligned to the tens of thousandths, it's your $1k.

I don't see any real ROI on something like this for the average woodworker. Although there are always scenarios where this might excel. YMMV as they say.

I think the benefit of the rear track is mainly keeping it square even when unlocked. The T-square style fences I've used always move just a bit when you lock them down, meaning I have to try it a couple times to get it to line up right. Deflection at the rear is an added bonus. I bet there are some wacky jigs that puts more pressure towards the back too (like some of the diagonal cove cutting jigs or maybe those spindle turning jigs).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The fact that it provides a high/low fence is a "yuge" plus in my book...that right there would make me interested if I didn't have a saw that had that feature. I run my fence in the "low" position 80+% of the time.
    Agreed. I replaced the fence on my Sawstop with an aluminum extrusion with the option to use a 15x15 attached for a "low" fence. If Sawstop came out with something like this, I'd probably jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    The T-square style fences I've used always move just a bit when you lock them down, meaning I have to try it a couple times to get it to line up right.
    That movement used to drive me nuts. So much that I figured out a way to eliminate it. For way less than the cost of the new Harvey fence. Not knocking the new fence as I think it looks like an excellent fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The slider has mounting holes for a sawstop, I bet this fence does also.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Agreed. I replaced the fence on my Sawstop with an aluminum extrusion with the option to use a 15x15 attached for a "low" fence. If Sawstop came out with something like this, I'd probably jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    That movement used to drive me nuts. So much that I figured out a way to eliminate it. For way less than the cost of the new Harvey fence. Not knocking the new fence as I think it looks like an excellent fence.
    Very clever! I may steal this one.

I might get it just for the locking handle locking forward on top of saw. I have hit my hip so many times on my sawstop. On top of that, when my garage is not being used stuff is stored in front of the saw and it gets hit way too much

If it had the ability to attach a DRO (or one attached, which for this price it should), I might go for it, but as it stands, no.

Seriously pricey, though.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Per Harvey website: The BIG EYE Rip Fence System is compatible with the most renowned table saw brands such as SawStop, Powermatic, JET, Laguna Grizzly, andmore

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Very clever! I may steal this one.
    It was made using pieces cut off the end of a 4X4X1/4 angle then cut to fit the PM fence. The nylon grub screws are 1/2-13X1/2 and will move slightly over time. I solved that with a Loctite product made for nylon and similar materials. Regular Loctite will degrade/decompose nylon over time. I found this out by using the wrong type the first time. Rock solid now for reading a measurement and locking the fence.

Blog Entries
    I was going to say it looks expensive, and it is, $1,049.00. Thanks, but I am very happy with my, now discontinued, HTC Multi-Fence System on my older G1023.
    NOW you tell me...