Thread: Downgrading Bandsaw Motor

Downgrading Bandsaw Motor

I have a Minimax S400P (aka MM16) that I quite like and use for all my ripping. However, I no longer have access to 240 volt power for its 4.8 hp motor. Now that I’m off-grid, I only have a 120 volt 3000 watt inverter (25 amps) for power. Rather than selling my saw and buying a smaller one, I’m considering swapping the motor for a 1.5 hp motor, seeing that the inverter has no difficulty starting my 1.5 hp DeWalt RAS. I had a few questions on this conversion:
    1. Will it be so much weaker that I need to replace the 1” carbide blade with a narrower blade with a thinner kerf?
    2. Should I reduce the blade speed with a pulley change to avoid it jamming from the reduced power?

Thanks for any advice!

Jon

Welcome.
    Is there any way that you would consider a portable generator to run this bandsaw when you need it? To go from a 4.5 HP motor, to a 1.5 HP motor is a very big step down in performance.
    the 1" blade will still run, but what you're going to lose is resew capacity, and in doing so, you will probably need to drop down to a 1/2" -5/8" blade to not over load the motor. There's a lot of tension force on a 1" blade, versus a 1/2" blade.
    Blade speed is a function of keeping the gullets clear, resaw depth, type of tooth, and width of material. I wouldn't change speed unless I absolutely had to.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The biggest issue would likely be starting the saw because of the mass of the cast iron wheels-that's where the big amp draw will be .Blade size shouldn't matter too much (tpi could though). You might be able to 'prime' it by getting the wheels going but that sounds like recipe for a good (bad) YT video....

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Christopher

You're right.I hadn't even consider getting the saw actually moving. Those wheels and that blade tension, might make for a hard starter.
    I was "priming" a 5HP commercial washer this morning. My arm and shoulder are still bothering me.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The first time I bought a big vintage bandsaw a friend said he could make a static phase converter for me. 10-15 seconds into the start the capacitors blew like Mount St. Helen. You don't want to happen to your inverter. Lower hp has nothing to do with blade width choice or jamming. Both have to do with how sharp the blade is and how fast you feed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Daniel View Post
    ...I no longer have access to 240 volt power for its 4.8 hp motor. Now that I’m off-grid, I only have a 120 volt 3000 watt inverter (25 amps) for power. Rather than selling my saw and buying a smaller one, I’m considering swapping the motor for a 1.5 hp motor...
    Don't do it. Figure out a better system for power.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

having lived 24 yrs off grid, I found that drawing power from batteries at start up of motors can be problematic. It's not like house power that stays the same. Getting the batteries to release power is much slower, then the inverter must do it's work. The suggestion to use a generator is a good one for the times you need to use the bandsaw. I have found after all these years, the living off grid, is a lesson in demanding a life using less power overall. A trade-down of power needed in tools would be the logical direction.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Just a thought, since you are off grid and probably have batteries, would a dc motor be easier to power? Some of those electric kart motors offer over 4.5hp and would definitely be able to soft start the band saw…

And this would also eliminate the losses involved with both the AC motor and inverter.

My suggestion is to sell the minimax and buy a saw that will run on your infrastructure. Laguna BX, Rikon, Harvey all have saws with good capacity and 120v power.

Must admit I find Seabatien’s DC motor suggestion intriguing, but suspect it’ll end up costing more than it’s worth.

Back in my Minimax USA days, I remember a conversation with a customer who was living off-grid, solar, batteries, generator, etc. We were talking about an S45N, which is a smaller bandsaw than the MM16 and comes with a 2.5hp motor. So, basically, half the power of an MM16. I recall running through some starting-amps calculations with him and the conclusion we came to was that it just wasn’t going to work with his setup.

To the OP, I think the suggestion of just buying a smaller 120v bandsaw is the best bet. Your MM16 should fetch a good price on the open market. Best of luck in your search.

Erik

I don’t imagine that you are anywhere near Dallas but I have a 5kw generator you could have free. Gas lines need flushing but it works fine last time I used it. 120/240 volt
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution