Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for experienced opinion on jointer choice by 7/31/2023

Looking for experienced opinion on jointer choice by 7/31/2023

I am buying my first jointer, after managing with a sled and shims on a planer, and borrowing time on a friends Powermatic. I'm trying to decide if buying the Powermatic PJ882 for $3000 would be the best use of my money over the Grizzly G0858 for about $2600. G0856 would be lower at $1995 (plus shipping? not clear) The deal of free shipping for Powermatic via Rockler ends July 31, 2023.
    The G0858 has more features, and I'd still have to buy a mobile platform for the Powermatic, but is the anticipated quality difference worth it?

Thanks,
    Pat

Give us a hint. How wide are they and what horsepower. How wide do you need. Not much to go wrong on a jointer. I would look into used. How is your location for used jointers. How far are you willing to travel?
    There are at least six 8" jointers near me for 750-1500 dollars. Yates, Delta, American , and grizzly
    Bill D.
    Northfield 12" for $3750 in Reno now.
    https://reno.craigslist.org/tls/d/re...640947633.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-29-2023 at 1:04 AM.

same as Bill. first I had 8" general if doing it again would have started with an 8" Poitras as the base is not sheet steel. Dont like the noise from sheet steel. Have big stuff now but you can make a living any day on an 8" jointer and id buy used as well.

I would also go used (and have.) Started with an 8” delta Invicta DJ20, which is a solid machine for its class. Eventually moved to a 12” Oliver with Terminus cutterhead. The cost of both of them together on the used market was a less than either of the new 8” models you are considering above.

These days it seems to be well known that hobby/prosumer level Powermatic and Grizzly (and others) are all likely made in the same factory and have different paint. Maybe different motors and possibly a few more QC points on the yellow paint…maybe.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Not much to go wrong on a jointer.
    On a new one, you can get twisted fences, non flat tables, and out of alignment tables. Rattling base sheet metal can be solved with adhesive backed automotive insulation. I'd definitely go with Powermatic, but likely I will be the only person on this forum to say that. If you must go with Grizzly, look for the same thing at Shop Fox. Identical machine but longer warranty.

You can also consider a combination machine like a Hammer A3-31 used or new

Thanks all for the quick replies. As was deduced from the group per Bill's original question, they are all 8". The Powermatic and G0858 are both parallelogram and the G0856 is dovetail. The Grizzlies are both helical head and the Powermatic straight knives. I've been looking on Craigslist and Facebook market for a few months and have not seen an 8" used around me (Dallas, TX area) out a few hundred miles. Reno would be hard to achieve. I find many 6" used, but no 8". Bed sizes are 72" (G0856), 76" (G0858), and 82" (Powermatic). Rockler also has a Jet JPJ-12B combo 12" jointer/planer for $3100 (straight knives, bed 55 1/2", presume dovetail). I honestly can't say what size I need, as I'm drawn in multiple directions. I've enjoyed building from raw lumber (furniture to date) and also considering going the path of harvesting raw lumber as the opportunity presents (I've done a few smallish projects). I'm going 8" as a friend suggested buying the max I could afford (and wish I had used available) but the price point of the combo would point to that following the same logic. However, same concerns over quality. My basic impression is that the quality hierarchy goes (lowest to highest) Grizzly, Shop Fox, Jet, Powermatic.

buying new is no gaurantee of straight, my 60 year old rode hard SCM is probably more true than new med level euro stuff. If you are a cabinet maker you can make a living with an 8" jointer. im talking furniture, kitchens etc. Depends on the work you do.

The sheet steel like my general bandsaw was lined with Dux seal over 40 years ago did the blade covers never did the base figured id make a better one. I just need to find a wholesaler for Dux seal 100 lbs at a time. The SCM saw is 1,300 lbs but ill still line the base (1/4 sheet steel) and a few other pieces as well.

My suggestion is to buy the same model jointer your friend has.
    If you out grow it sell it and buy a bigger one.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Dallas? the oliver is interesting 16" for only$2 ,500, probably babbitt bearings.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...648190016.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...634677637.html

the oliver manual is dated 1916
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=932
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-29-2023 at 7:21 PM.

Hey Pat, I personally wouldn’t spend $3000 for a straight knife planer with 2 hp. Seems like there’s a lot of other options out there.

Go helical and 3hp if you’re going to spend 3 grand. Most of these machines are duplicates of each other, with similar parts and quality. They’re made in the same factories.

If you’re buying brand new, stick with a Taiwan made machine and it’ll be better quality. Some of the cheaper Grizzly's are Chinese made and less for a reason.

I have a powermatic model 60 from the mid 60's. I would not trade it for a new one
    I vote for used also

Buy used, then once you know what you really want, consider a new machine. Lots of options pop up in Dallas/DFW.

I prefer a helical head, and parallelogram beds are easier to adjust. Cast iron fence is nice also.

I will second some thoughts here anyway: the helical head is worth it and used is the way to go for a jointer. I put in a helical head in my old 8"powermatic and couldn't be happier with it.

Warren, tell us more about the whys and wherefors of Dux seal. Is it to dampen vibration and add weight?