Thread: Headlight for Trend Air Shield

Headlight for Trend Air Shield

Hello I've tried various ways to mount a light on my Powermatic 3520b, but have yet to find one in which the light is not blocked by the back of my head when I turn the interior of a bowl. I have the Trend Airshield Pro helmet, and it seems like the ideal solution would be to find a way to mount a headlight on the helmet...but so far my efforts with velcro, etc have failed. So, I was wondering if someone has come up with a way to do this...
    Thanks!

Sorry, no AirShield, so cannot address your question, but I've had good luck mounting a light on a lathe track from Woodturners Wonders.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Can't help you with the Airshield, but my PAPR setup has a chin mounted light that is awesome. Just like a headlight, it is pointed wherever you are looking. Maybe you could adopt the idea somehow.

I don't have an Airshield but if I did I would try one of these. I have one, very bright, rechargeable, stretchy headband that will most like go around the Trend unit and it's inexpensive and easily removeable.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...s%2C995&sr=8-5

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES D Richards View Post
    I don't have an Airshield but if I did I would try one of these. I have one, very bright, rechargeable, stretchy headband that will most like go around the Trend unit and it's inexpensive and easily removeable.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...s%2C995&sr=8-5
    While I can't help you with the Trend Airshield I do have a different opinion on the rechargeable headlamp Charles recommended.

I am legally blind but still turn and do other small woodworking and handyman tasks with what little vision I have left. I always need a lot of light. But, my preferences over the years (I'm 58 and have had vision issues since I was born) is for headlamps/flashlights with normal non-rechargeable batteries.

Yes, I do have a couple rechargeable lights that I use. But, I found the preference to be non rechargeable with regular AA or AAA. That way when the batteries run down I can just pop in new ones instead of waiting for something to recharge. (they always seem to die when I am in the middle of a project that I don't have time to stop and wait 2-3 hours for charging.

Yes, you can buy and have a backup of the LED rechargeable headlamps. If you go that route get more than one extra headlamp. Good high power LED headlamps (or any flashlight for that matter) use enough battery power that they don't last more than an hour or two per charge.

For looking into hollow forms I found mounting the LED on the chin bar of the face shield worked best for me. I turn outboard and having the light there allows me to look inside as I work. Mounted on the forehead doesn't shine in far enough for me to see what I'm doing if the neck is small.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    For looking into hollow forms I found mounting the LED on the chin bar of the face shield worked best for me. I turn outboard and having the light there allows me to look inside as I work. Mounted on the forehead doesn't shine in far enough for me to see what I'm doing if the neck is small.

Neil
    Do you have photos of your setup? It sounds like a great idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by edward kinslade View Post
    Neil
    Edward, I'll try to remember to take a photo the next time I'm at my workshop
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by edward kinslade View Post
    Neil
    Here it is, Edward.

LED light attached to hood.jpg

The one I used is on a swing arm so I can point the beam in the direction I need. They normally come with the expectation that you will wear on forehead and tilt down towards where you want to see on the ground, but I attached upside down so it can be tilted up into where I'm looking.

An adjustable focus model will also allow you to narrow beam down to see better into smaller openings.

It's attached with velcro so it can be quickly removed when not required.
    Neil

Attached are two pictures of how I solved the lighting/shadow problem on my 3520b. Two homemade mounts and two gooseneck led lights with magnetic bases. The light near the headstock is for the outside of a bowl and the one at the tailstock for the inside of a bowl. Just position the lamp head so it shines on the work and not on the back of your head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is great! I plan on doing it to my setup! Thanks