Thread: Window Solar AC Or Fan?

Window Solar AC Or Fan?

Folks, my little husky mix is such an escape artist I can't trust leaving her at home so have to take her everywhere which means leaving her in the truck with the windows cracked! But it's been so hot, and I was wondering ..

can anyone recommend a solar ac unit I can hang in the window? I see some on amazon but they all only have 3.5 +- stars. how about battery powered window fans?

We both hope someone has some good suggestions or other solutions!

Hey Dog.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 08-01-2023 at 1:33 PM.
    WoodsShop

The truck window? I wouldnt recommend that I would get a kennel. Im not sure how old your pup is but dogs actually like kennels as bad as it sounds its a safe spot for them. I couldnt do it for my last dog but she was an english bulldog that aside from accidents never got into trouble. She just liked sleeping. The older dogs get the harder it will be for you to use kennels though.

She's so smart she can escape from anything, already escaped from one kennel at a job site by digging under it, she's almost 3 years now.

but that is a possible solution, maybe I should look for a good kennel now.
    WoodsShop

Crate training is a good idea for situations like this. Oliver has a smaller, portable crate for when we need to go out for shopping, dining, etc., and because it's portable, we could also use it for containment as well as for sleeping if we were to travel with him. He has a larger wire crate in our bedroom for sleeping at night. These things are lockable if necessary, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    We had a black lab that was the sweetest dog we ever had, BUT she was a destructive terror when she was a pup and left alone. We bought a large metal foldable kennel and never looked back. We would put her in the kennel whenever we weren’t home. I took the kennel door off after she settled down and that was her favorite sleeping place.
    Leaving her in a vehicle isn’t the best solution, IMO.

She’s a good looking husky.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Around here an animal in a hot car with the windows cracked is an invitation to have the window smashed out, the animal removed and a heap of trouble for the animal owner.

In my Tesla there is a dog mode that keeps the AC on, and puts a message on the center screen saying the dog is safe. That being said, with tinted windows, I assume that if I ever left the dog in the car, someone would break the window as they would never see the message.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My son had a Husky and yes he was also a escape artist. My two dogs now sleep in their kennels and have no issues, like Jim said they find it their Safe place.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    In my Tesla there is a dog mode that keeps the AC on, and puts a message on the center screen saying the dog is safe. That being said, with tinted windows, I assume that if I ever left the dog in the car, someone would break the window as they would never see the message.
    Actually, just tried it in my car for the first time. Even with the tinted windows, you can see the message. If you look.

Tesla Dog Mode Picture.jpg
    I'd imagine you'd still get your window broken.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

That's odd, I never had a problem with this:
    National Moth Week.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It's never too late to start crate training and you will be happy you did when the dog gets older. The collapsible crates are fine and for a Husky I would get the largest size you can so the dog can get up and move once in a while. Some dogs can figure out how to jimmy the latch open but a carabiner or padlock will prevent any escape. And from my experience you don't want to have the crate too close to things like furniture or curtains. A low volume radio can help with any anxiety.

Solar ac units I see just use a little solar for the condensor fan. Still need ac for the compressor and indoor air handler. I assume they have an ac power supply for the condensor fan at night.
    Bill D

A Husky in San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    A Husky in San Diego?
    They're thick on the ground here in SoCal.
    Sleds, on the other hand, are few and far between.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.