Thread: McMaster-Carr shipping?

McMaster-Carr shipping?

I'm trying to find shipping prices, can't get it without entering my credit card # which I don't like to do. Anyone that has ordered from them have any rough prices for shipping expense? I've e-mailed them, but I'm at work, it's slow and my mind is playing with ideas!! I'd appreciate any insight you might be able to lend. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I order through McMaster Carr at work a lot and looking over the last invoices I noticed we paid anywhere from $5 to $10. It always comes by Spee-dee delivery and is here next day (not saying it will be the same for you). The boxes are regular size (~2 ft sq). I think I remember looking at ordering some 6" PVC for dust collection and it was fairly costly to ship.

Matt

Any order I've received has had very reasonable shipping charges - no surprises. I haven't ordered anything extra large or heavy, but I wouldn't expect there to be any issues with that either.

Most of my orders arrive in a day, maybe two.

Wes

Jim, I have a 2# order from M&C that is due to arrive this afternoon. I will let you know what the charges are when I get the package.

It is nice to order things from the Atlanta area as they are delivered the 2nd day, either UPS or USPS. Must be a big pipeline between Atlanta and Dallas
    Best Regards, Ken

I don't have a receipt handy, but $5 to $10 sounds about right. My orders are usually something like 20 to 40 stainless steel bolts (maybe about 5 lbs.?) and using UPS ground. I get stuff next day where I'm at, so it seems like a great deal to me - if you're paying 'full price' and waiting the usual 3-6 business days, then it might not seem like such a great deal. (And, yeah!, now that you mention it, it is frustrating that you don't get info on shipping prices until late in the ordering process!)

Thanks, guys. I'm thinking of ordering some 6" PVC fittings, 4-45 degree Ells, and 4- 6" wyes to get started. Having an estimate on shipping/LB helps. Thanks. Now to see if I have the $'s to cover it! Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim,

I ordered a similar amount of S & D fittings from MC about 5 months ago. I thought the shipping charges were excessive - must be because they are so bulky and came in several large cartons. I called MC to complain that they don't show shipping costs before you order. They said their computers couldn't figure it and suggested calling in an order and they could estimate shipping costs.

As I remember, and keep in mind I'm approaching 60, shipping cost on my order was over $30-40 for about the same as you're talking.

Rick

Jim,

I forgot to mention, my stuff shipped out of their Chicago DC. Maybe that makes a difference?

Rick

News Flash!!!! I Found It Locally!!!! NEWS FLASH!!!!

Well, I found someone who knew what I was talking about. Said he was pretty much out of stock right now, as someone wiped him out yesterday. Now which one of you got to them first???
    Their prices are a little steep, but if what Rick said is true on the shipping, then it might just even out, except for the tax.
    Rick, that would be high. When I was home at lunch, I emailed them about shipping prices for this size order...we'll see what they say.
    Thanks for the information. I'll let you know if MC emails me back with shipping. Jim.

I just wrote them to ask for a shipping quote (8 6" y and 11 45 deg. elbows), a quick reply informed me I should have some news in the next Hour !!!!

I live in Québec city so....... better check before !!!!

Guy

9102K186 - $10.29/each
    9102K436 - $8.93/each

Material is available to ship today. Approximate shipping charges are $45.00. We deliver material, brokerage-free, to Canada in 1-2 business days from our Ohio facility

That is it !!!! Just ask before !!!!

Still saving 100$ compared to locally !!!!

Guy

Guy, that's over double the amount of parts (and the same parts, too!) I was looking at, so maybe that will not be too bad after all. I did email them for shipping proces at lunch time, wasn't home long enough to get the automated message or an answer. I should have that when I get home in about an hour. Thanks for the note. Jim.

FWIW you can still cancel after you enter your card. And the card endtry page is secure. Not to mention all the protection Federal Law gives you with credit cards. I never understand the reluctance people have about giving out CC numbers. Writing a check is alot more dangerous, as are debit cards.

Jim, I just received my shipment from M&C. The 2 itmes I ordered came to $22.51, the shipping was $4.50

I also received an order from Woodpecker, a pair of off-set wrenches, $23.90, and shipping/handling was $6.85. (next time I'll tell them to not bother with the handling, I can do that when I get the order. )
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    FWIW you can still cancel after you enter your card. And the card endtry page is secure. Not to mention all the protection Federal Law gives you with credit cards. I never understand the reluctance people have about giving out CC numbers. Writing a check is alot more dangerous, as are debit cards.
    Yes, all that's true, Barry. but if i'm not going to order after seeing the shipping price, then I'd just as soon not give them my number to begin with. I'm just funny that way.

I did get a reply on the shipping:

"Shipping costs for this order will be approximately $10."

Qty Part Number Description Unit Price sub-total
    4 -9102K136 6" Pipe, 45 Deg PVC Elbow, Socket $8.93 Each $35.72

4 - 9102K186 6" Pipe, 45 Deg PVC Wye, Socket $10.29 Each $41.16

Merchandise Total $76.88 plus shipping.

I can live with that!! I'll still get the pipe here locally, and the place I talked to today says they have the 22.5 degree Ells that McMaster-Carr does not carry (in 6")
    After I find out when I can pick up a couple pieces of the pipe, I'll place my order. Thanks again for all the good information! Jim