Thread: Clearvue Powerbox and oneida cyclone compatibility

Clearvue Powerbox and oneida cyclone compatibility

Has anyone connected their oneida dc to the clearvue Powerbox to add remote capability? I’m wondering if they are compatible or not. I have tried 2 other 220v remote switches from different brands that will only turn the dc off but not back on (I assume due to the magnetic switch…?). I’m not up for jiggering up my own solution even though it seems simple to some; I just can’t wrap my head around it.

I appreciate the collective wisdom and support from the SMC community. Thanks in advance for your help

The Clearvue Powerbox should be able to be connected to any 5HP motor. It needs to be wired directly to the motor. If you wire the remote switch box to some sort of relay/magnetic switch on the Oneida, then it won't work. This may be the problem with the other remote switches you have tried.

Duh, I should have realized that. I will just need to pull out the motor wires from the existing switch. The only negative is that I won’t have any physical switch in the event that I misplace the remote…

You can use a simple contactor rated for your cyclone's load with either 120v or 12v "control" side to do any number of different remote on/off solutions from a hard-wired switch like I used in my old shop to simple Christmas light wireless remotes to low voltage switches, etc. No need to spend big bucks for this function. That said, if the unit has a magnetic starter, as I believe some of the Onieda machines do, you have to bypass that switch to get the remote on/off to work because otherwise, killing power via the remote means there will be no restart when power is restored due to the safety aspects of a magnetic switch on a power tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure if this will work or not but... Leave it all connected as is then add a cord from the output side of the contactor. Connect this new cord to the output of your remote contactor. That will bypass the existing switch but you can still use the existing switch.
    What happens if both power sources get energized at the same time? Will they be out of sync and fight each other in a cloud of smoke?
    What happens to the magic remote box if you backfeed 240 volts to the output side?
    Do not leave the existing cord unplugged if you do this. Those prongs may be at 240 volts when the remote is energized.
    Bill D

post picture of your magnetic switch, take the cover off first, also any wiring diagrams for it
    depending on how it works as to how to tie in to it

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    post picture of your magnetic switch, take the cover off first, also any wiring diagrams for it
    depending on how it works as to how to tie in to it
    Here are some pictures of my switch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Oneida switch already has the remote module in it. Its the black box on the right inside of the cover. The antenna is the black wire looped in the bottom of the cover. Is there a reason you're not using it?
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 08-05-2023 at 7:07 AM.

Oneida sells replacement modules with remote fob for about $80. I had to replace mine some time back when the remote function failed. The upside was I then (and now) have two remote fobs. Replacement fobs are about $35 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Your Oneida switch already has the remote module in it. It’s the black box on the right inside of the cover. The antenna is the black wire looped in the bottom of the cover. Is there a reason you're not using it?
    you’re right! I bought this used and the remote fob didn’t come with it unfortunately. I will order a replacement fob and hope the module still works. I hear the oneida ones are notorious for not lasting long.