Thread: Collection haters, avert your eyes

Collection haters, avert your eyes

Picked up a real nice collection of molding planes. I thought it would be great in my vintage chest, but appears they will be too tall in this position.
    IMG_2865.jpg

Nice collection
    You'll just have to build a bigger chest, how horrible

Or display on the shelf behind you. Seems to be derigeur on YouTube.

Richard, mine are not as neatly stored as yours!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Shame Derek, Shame!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

What the hell, Derek?

Mine are in at least two rows of these airtight, waterproof 28" toolboxes with desiccant cannisters. For example: one box will be for Hollows and Rounds, one for Sash planes, one for groovers, etc. Tool adjusting hammer and mallet are among the few tools that stay out all the time.

It might be years between uses, and some I'm sure I will never use, but they'll be in good shape when I need to call on any one of them. I do use them.

Actually this is one of the cubbies for the 23" toolboxes. I couldn't find a picture of the 28" ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    My most used molding planes (hollows & rounds) are on a couple of shelves.

Molding Planes on Shelf.jpg

Sometimes one or two of these will be swapped out with other woodies. There is one box that is deep enough to hold molding planes on end. Then there are a couple cardboard boxes with planes stacked for when they are needed.

If it comes to mind during my next visit to the shop, a picture will be taken of the boxes of planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Shame Derek, Shame!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    What the hell, Derek?
    Two factors for me: the first is that I do not have much, if any, free wall space, and that which I have - such as this cabinet - is too small. Too small to stack them side-by-side. The second is that I am not as motivated to build shop furniture as furniture for the home (or the homes of family and friends). I do get around to it eventually, usually between furniture builds. I must do something about the moulding planes. There is a half set of H&R, a full set of beading planes, and several complex profiles, along with woodies for dados, grooving and sliding dovetails. A lot more there than it appears at first glance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

How much work to get those all operational- a week?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    How much work to get those all operational- a week?
    That depends on the condition when acquired. Some of my hollows & rounds only took a few minutes to get working well. Others may have taken a few hours.

More information here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242156

The complex molding plane shown below took a few hours to get into good user shape.

Wedge Issue.jpg

Much of that time was spent working on the blade.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-06-2023 at 3:59 PM. Reason: added image & link
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)