Thread: Recommendations for air filter remote control timer

Recommendations for air filter remote control timer

Back in the day I built a "homemade" air filtration unit from a kit I purchased from Penn State Industries. The unit is working great in my small shop, but I would like to purchase a remote control with a timer function to be able to control it. Unfortunately, the placement of the filter unit is such that adding a timer to the unit itself isn't feasible, which is the reason for wanting a remote control with timer functionality.

Does anyone have a recommendation for such a device?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

Need more info. I get the remote control. What about the timer? Do you want the remote control to turn the unit on and then the timer turn it off after the preset time expires?

looking for a remote device that can do both...turn the unit on and then be able to set a timer (30 min, 60 min, etc) that will shut it off. Ive seen a couple of remotes that can do this, and they control a device that goes between the power cord and the outlet. Think of a lamp timer that can count down and be controlled by a remote control

With the remote control I don't actually see the need for the timer. I have an Oneida with remote and two FOBs placed in convenient areas. Between the two remotes and power switch I can turn it on and off when needed.

I would suggest looking at these. HERE
    I use them for numerous items in shop and around the house. There is an app that you use on your phone that is easy to program and use. So, your phone is your remote if you need it.
    Jim

X10 was. an old system of remote units with a base station to control them. Either plug in or hardwired outlets and switches.
    BilL D

What about replacing the switch in the wall with a spring-wound timer switch, available at your local BORG in the ceiling fan area. They come in 30-minute or 60-minute varieties. That what I did for my air filter that has a variable speed switch, which I just leave on ’high’. Just switch it on at the wall, runs for an hour, then goes off. It’s not too much of a hassle to switch it back on, and when I leave my shop, I turn on for a full hour.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Truett View Post
    Back in the day I built a "homemade" air filtration unit from a kit I purchased from Penn State Industries. The unit is working great in my small shop, but I would like to purchase a remote control with a timer function to be able to control it. Unfortunately, the placement of the filter unit is such that adding a timer to the unit itself isn't feasible, which is the reason for wanting a remote control with timer functionality.

Does anyone have a recommendation for such a device?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    I have the same air cleaner from Penn State. Mine is overhead in a basement so I can easily reach the bottom. I used a spring wound timer like you might find for a bathroom fan, it goes up to 60 minutes. Would it be practical to remotely mount a timer something like that then run a wire from the timer to the air cleaner? For those of you asking why a timer with a remote, when I finish any sort of dust raising operation, I set the timer for 60 minutes. The air cleaner runs for 60 minutes after any dust producing activities have ceased then shuts off.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-06-2023 at 1:56 PM.

Curt That's how I run my dust cleaner as well. Though it's a furnace fan in a box with layers of filters (that need to be changed). My thought is similar to others. The box can go anywhere and you can wire it up to a plug that pit stops at a handy box before powering the filter. Then you can run a timed switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    X10 was. an old system of remote units with a base station to control them. Either plug in or hardwired outlets and switches.
    BilL D
    Z-Wave and Zigbee are the new systems that superseded X10. My whole house is on Z-Wave and I love it. "Alexa, turn on kitchen lights at level 7 for 10 minutes."... etc. The aquarium lights come on every day at dawn what ever time dawn is for the particular day. These need a back end controller which is a bit of a nerd affair to implement. Both Z-Wave and Zigbee have high current inductive load outlets for controlling a reasonable sized motor.

I can't fathom going back to the ancient days of having to walk over to a wall switch every time I want to turn on or off the lights... barbaric! I guess there are people out there that still enjoy waking over to the TV set every time they want to change the channel though?

Hubitat is a pretty easy controller to work with... for nerds at least. It costs ~$100. Every Z-Wave device (wall outlet, wall switch, wall wart cube, etc.) is also a repeater. So the base controller doesn't have to be able to talk to every device. It just has to be able to talk to a device that can talk to a device that can talk to the particular device that you want to control. I.e. it is a mesh network.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 08-09-2023 at 5:29 PM.