Thread: Experience with Zen-Wu Toolworks aftermarket blades?

Question Experience with Zen-Wu Toolworks aftermarket blades?

Hello, all

I recently watched some videos from a YouTuber, GR Woodworking (highly recommended; great minimalist hand tool-centric videos), and noticed that he replaced the stock blades in his No 4 1/2 Clifton with aftermarket versions from Zen-Wu Toolworks. I hadn’t heard of this maker before, and was curious as to whether others here had any first-hand experience with these products.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Ryan Dawes

You know most YouTubers are paid influencers, right? They are Chinese made of course, but absolutely not cheap. But their web site says you will get the chills when you use their tools. What's that worth to you?
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-05-2023 at 1:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dawes View Post
    Hello, all

I recently watched some videos from a YouTuber, GR Woodworking (highly recommended; great minimalist hand tool-centric videos), and noticed that he replaced the stock blades in his No 4 1/2 Clifton with aftermarket versions from Zen-Wu Toolworks. I hadn’t heard of this maker before, and was curious as to whether others here had any first-hand experience with these products.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Ryan Dawes
    Ryan, welcome to SMC!

I looked at the website for Zen-Wu Toolworks. They have some very beautiful plane blades and chisels. I find them attractive, and applaud their attempt to offer something fresh.

Whether the steel is anything special is anyone's guess. They do not say what it is. With regard GRW replacing the Clifton blade, this appears to be interesting since many (like myself) replaced a Stanley blade with a Clifton blade - hammered O1. These are wonderful blades. Why change one?

Regards from Perth

Derek