Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $39 for hair spray

Blog Entries

$39 for hair spray

My wife likes a special hair spray, it's $39 for one can How can this be?
    Dennis

Rubio Monocoif?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fitzgerald View Post
    Rubio Monocoif?
    More like the Dewey Cheatham line of hair care products
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Same reason diamonds cost what they do...

The best thing to do is to gather a bunch of magazines, go through them noting hair dos that do not require hairspray and suggest that she change her hair style. Don’t bring up HS in this discussion. Subtlety is required here. Please get back to let us know how this goes for you.

$39 isn't too bad.
    Honestly - it isn't.
    I had to look up prices online and the going price for the better (not top end - those run about $79) ones are $39 to $49.

Since hair sprays can be very heavy in VOCs, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I think of things like this the price of happiness. She gets a $39 can of hairspray with no questions asked, i encourage her actually. When I get crazy at an auction or estate sale then i expect no grief the other way. Keeping in mind we have no bills we cannot pay and food on the table.

Just my two cents,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post
    I think of things like this the price of happiness. She gets a $39 can of hairspray with no questions asked, i encourage her actually. When I get crazy at an auction or estate sale then i expect no grief the other way. Keeping in mind we have no bills we cannot pay and food on the table.

Just my two cents,
    Chris
    Pretty smart really...."choose your battles wisely"

On Prime Day, there was some item listed in the main feed that was over $500. I didn't know what it was so out of curiosity I clicked on it. It was some sort of curling iron.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

She goes to estate sales, brings home furniture we don't need for me to fix up. I buy new tool to fix it, I fix it, and she gives it to one of the grandkids starting out. Happy home.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good one

Oh, the power of marketing! I look at the labels of things like shampoo and hairspray and see no difference in ingredients between the high priced stuff and that $4 can of Suave. Main difference is the added perfume. And let's ask why we have to import H20 from Fiji for hundreds of times the cost of tap water. Marketing.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post

Just my two cents,
    Chris
    This has always worked for me. As long as we aren't spending ourselves into poverty it is all good.

Chris, I see your two cents and raise you two more. 2˘ Two Cents.png

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    She goes to estate sales, brings home furniture we don't need for me to fix up. I buy new tool to fix it, I fix it, and she gives it to one of the grandkids starting out. Happy home.
    Happy wife, happy home
    Unhappy wife, the man is going to Rome (roam)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Oh, the power of marketing! I look at the labels of things like shampoo and hairspray and see no difference in ingredients between the high priced stuff and that $4 can of Suave. Main difference is the added perfume. And let's ask why we have to import H20 from Fiji for hundreds of times the cost of tap water. Marketing.
    Not only no appreciable difference between the higher priced and lower priced item...
    The great majority of youse guys on the forum are, well "Guys" (possessing the XY chromosome) and so you maybe unaware of the "pink tax" we XX types pay.
    Sometimes it can be mitigated or avoided entirely; sometimes not.
    You can google it or ask your better half about it.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 08-05-2023 at 4:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Not only no appreciable difference between the higher priced and lower priced item...
    The great majority of youse guys on the forum are, well "Guys" (possessing the XY chromosome) and so you maybe unaware of the "pink tax" we XX types pay.
    Sometimes it can be mitigated or avoided entirely; sometimes not.
    You can google it or ask your better half about it.
    Patty
    Very true, when I bring a dress shirt to the dry cleaner the cost is $2.50, when my wife brings hers they’re $12
    Dennis