Thread: A Beginner's Shopping List

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

A Beginner's Shopping List

What are the top ten tools for a beginning turner on a budget?

This question comes up all the time and perhaps it’s about time to gather a consensus and put it out there for consideration. I figure Newbies will benefit from a healthy debate among the more experienced turners. Now, before we climb into the debate fully, let’s agree that if the beginner in question is intending to get into specialized woodturning — things like penmaking or handles for kitchen implements— the selection of tools and equipment would be very different. For purposes of this discussion, we’ll consider items for making fundamental bowls and jars. I fully expect others to have a shopping list that has a completely different bent.

Offering a budget number is a slippery slope. For new tools, I picked Robert Sorby quality items with high speed steel, but I'm aware there are premium products available as well as cheaper ones through Amazon. I'm betting someone offers a list that replaces many of these tools with carbide cutters.

It's also assumed that the most fundamental items will already be on hand starting with a lathe. Machines almost always come with three accessories, a faceplate, spur drive, and live center.

Here's my list:

1. Spindle/Roughing Gouge*— Most projects start with roughing raw wood, and a sturdy, long-handled tool with a sharp tip is typically the best tool for that job. Cost is about $75 new.
    2. Bowl Gouge with Fingernail Grind— A deep flute with a sweptback grind will take care of most bowl shaping. For many veteran woodturners, a good bowl gouge is a multiple-use shaping tool that can be used for everything from rough turning to adding decorative details. HHS is a must. Cost for a few one is about $95-110.
    3. Square Scraper— This has all sorts of roughing and finishing uses, especially for the interior of jars and bowls. New HSS ones are available in a variety of sizes and cost about $55-95 each.
    4. Round Scraper— Great for creating subtle shapes, both interior and exterior. New HSS ones cost about $50-100 each.
    5. Scroll Chuck— Life is so much easier if you can hold the wood in a chuck. A basic new one can cost between $100 and $175, but cheap off brands sometimes don’t have optional jaws in convenient sizes. Specialized jaws can go for $40-100 a set.
    6. Jacob’s Chuck— The ability to drill a hole on your lathe is invaluable, and these are remarkably inexpensive. As little at $50 new.
    7. Bench Grinder*— Sharpening your tools is essential, and grinders have other uses beyond woodturning. New ones sell for as little as $100 and used ones are nearly free. In time, you may want to add a sharpening jig (see below) but there’s nothing wrong with hand sharpening your tools.
    8. Sharpening Jig-- This item might seem to be an extravagance, but it will create consistent gouge shapes and save a ton of time.
    9, Parting Tool*-- While not something that removes bulk or creates major shapes, this is an inexpensive investment (about $35) and can be used as a detailing tool.
    10. Skew*— This tool drops down to the bottom of my priority list simply because most of it’s functions can be accomplished with other tools, but it is a fundamental and traditional cutting tool. Simple ones are only $55 new.

*items noted with an asterisk are frequently sold used for bargain prices.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 08-06-2023 at 4:31 PM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russell's list is solid. I would add a detail spindle gouge if for no other reason than to create a good dovetail for the scroll chuck jaws (assuming standard dovetail jaws). Also, lots of sandpaper in all the grits (as they say!).

I agree with Dwayne on both comments — a solid list, and a detail gouge and sandpaper.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I would put a sharpening jig as top priority. There is nothing harder than trying to learn something when there are to many variables. Trying to learn to use a gouge is a long process by its self without having to learn to put a usable edge on the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    I would add a detail spindle gouge if for no other reason than to create a good dovetail for the scroll chuck jaws (assuming standard dovetail jaws).
    Good point. For me, the difference between a deep-fluted bowl/fingernail gouge and the "spindle detail" gouge is the wings of the former are more useful. In fact, I use them en lieu of a skew when I want to create a smooth cylinder. As far as creating a dovetail shape with the spindle gouge, I grind my skews to match the dovetail angle and use them as a scraper to create a proper tenon.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 08-06-2023 at 3:40 PM.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have a slightly different list as far as the tools go.
    SRG, spindle gouge. parting tool and bowl gouge are really all you need for a while. As your skills improve, add tools as needed.
    You don't need scrapers or a skew when first starting.
    JMO

Here’s my $.02. The dilemma of a ‘beginner’s list of necessaries’ is a forked path. To the question of “What do I need to get started in turning”?, the following replies come to mind: 1) “What do you intend to turn?” To be followed by, “What is your budget?” If the would-be turner plans to turn pens, bottlestoppers and the like, one list comes to mind. If they’re interested in bowls, vases etc., a very different list occurs to me. Part of the divergence centers on carbide vs. HSS tools although budget may trump (pardon me) those answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Green View Post
    Here’s my $.02.... Part of the divergence centers on carbide vs. HSS tools although budget may trump (pardon me) those answers.
    In the context you offer, Ethan, the obvious advantage to carbide cutters is that you really don't need a bench grinder and sharpening jig, right?

Russell Neyman

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    In the context you offer, Ethan, the obvious advantage to carbide cutters is that you really don't need a bench grinder and sharpening jig, right?
    Correct Russell. For the would-be bowl turner I could almost make the case for getting the grinder, wheels and jig ahead of the lathe, for without the ability to resharpen HSS tools, tools quickly dull. There are those, of course, who will advocate for sharpening with sandpaper, a hone or even a belt-sander but that’s not a route I would suggest to a novice.

I like most of the suggestions so far, but a good face mask should be on the list of beginner tools - you can pick up a Uvex pretty cheap and it’s a good habit to start early

Im no lathe master but I would suggest
    -Machine
    -decent sharpening system
    -Amazon $50 8 piece set. I think this is a good way to learn what you like to use and practice sharpening as sharpening is unlike any other sharpening. Then you can add good tools over time