Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washing machines - making modern ones effective?

Washing machines - making modern ones effective?

Many of my friends complain that their modern washing machines do not get loads of clothes completely wet. They also complain about the "feature" that the lid locks while the machine is running. Are there hacks to get around these inconveniences? Are there modern machines that don't have these problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    .... the "feature" that the lid locks while the machine is running...hacks to get around th[is]....
    Yes. It's been around for well over 400 years.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
    - Wm. Shakespeare, Henry VI
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Many of my friends complain that their modern washing machines do not get loads of clothes completely wet. They also complain about the "feature" that the lid locks while the machine is running. Are there hacks to get around these inconveniences? Are there modern machines that don't have these problems?
    I suspect, based on the experience with our new washing machine, in an effort to use less water, the machine measures the height of the load and dispenses water appropriately to cover the load. How ever, our top load LG washing machine has a button "Water Plus" that seems to override the machine's original function and uses more water. The locked lid can be opened on our machine by simply pushing the same button that starts the washing process.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-09-2023 at 4:57 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Top load or front load. My front load LG does an excellent job and gets all laundry both wet and clean. It also does an excellent job with water extraction in the spin cycle.

I am guessing that you are talking about top load machines?

We have a top load LG with front controls, easy to reach. Doesn't like large loads, error message on spin with large loads. Had to replace the 4 balance rods after 5 years, not sure if this is early. Push button to unlock. Direct drive dryer. Brian

We wear out a washing machine in the dog room about every two or three years. We just get the cheap LG front loaders. They do a fine job with washing really dirty stuff, but even the better ones short of commercial machines won't last with 2 or 3 loads a day for that long.

In a rental house, where there is a Lot of laundry to do between guests, including lake towels and thick bedding, we recently replaced an ancient Maytag top loader that still worked but was noisy and slow, with the largest top loader LG. It does a remarkable job with large loads and is relatively fast and quiet. It even has a waterproof materials cycle, so all the mattress covers can be washed safely, and it does a great job with those too.

Blog Entries
    When we had a top loader Candy would stick a plastic fork into the place where the lid closed switch was located. She like to run with the lid up.

In my younger years my dad would often take me with him on deliveries or repairs of washing machines. At one time there was actually a washing machine that had a scale built into the lid so the clothes could be weighed before being washed. This was to help prevent overloading the machine. Some machines had a line inside of the tub to indicate how much to put in. Some used the fins on the agitator to show how much could be put in the machine. The instructions always said to not pack the items being loaded.

Overloading has always been a problem with washing machines. You have no idea how long it took me to get Candy to not stuff as many clothes as possible into our machine(s).

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We buy 20+ year old used Maytag family washers from our local appliance repair guy who completely refurbishes them. They are then good for another 15-20 years.
    The new alternative is Speed Queen, a little pricey, poor in buttons and screens, but works well (and quickly) for a long time.

Not experiencing that with our GE "smart" machines, although they are front load. Didn't have that problem with the LG units in the old property, either. For front loaders, locking is mandatory. I suspect for a top loader there's a specific reason they are doing that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Currently using a rescued Kenmore, that's about 20 years old. Original owner tried to fix it after watching You Tubes. Snapped mounting prongs into windings of the motor. Used motor cost me forty bucks. Replaced the pump (it was starting to leak) about five years ago. When washer quits, I have enough spare parts from salvaged washers to completely rebuild it. Takes less than 30 minutes to do a complete cycle. Daughter's Samsung takes over two hours to do a load. Wash, stop, wash, stop, repeat again and again.

Speed Queen makes a basic HD washing machine, and is even available with a manual timer rather than electronics if you prefer. We preferred.

EDIT: Of course, dryers too.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Our front load hi efficiency 2011 Electrolux was built before they moved the plant to Mexico, built less than a 100 miles from us. Works wonderfully, gets clothes clean and saves water, zero complaints. We used in the past Maytag but they have gone to hell since Whirlpool purchased, no thanks.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Speed Queen makes a basic HD washing machine, and is even available with a manual timer rather than electronics if you prefer. We preferred.

EDIT: Of course, dryers too.
    Thanks for that info on Speed Queen, Rick. I just looked at their website.
    Never thought about SQ before because I though they only made for commercial use.
    Now I'm seriously considering one their top-loaders TC5 (catalog#TC5003)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

We bought a Speed Queen a I think 4 years ago when they had the 10 warranty offer. WE like it and we have the model where we set the load size.

I haven't owned a modern washer that requires high efficiency detergent. What happens if someone puts ordinary detergent in them by mistake?