Thread: Rabbits in the Garden!

Rabbits in the Garden!

We have sevveral flower beds for their dining convenience. We have various deterrents in place.

0. Plant distasteful flowers. Very effective.

1. Cheesy little fences a foot high that they can hop around. Surprisingly, these do some good.

2. Chicken wire fences a foot high all the way around. These work ok but are useless vs chipmunks.

3. Half inch hardware screen cages with a top. These work great but are the most cost and work to build and store.

4. An electric fence with the wires at 4" and 8" high. I did not ground this fence but put the voltage across the two wires. A grounded system is only as effective as the little beastie's connection to the ground. Works well on a heavy quadruped but not so much on a furry lightweight in dry weather. This seems to be 100% against rabbits and pretty much useless against chipmunks. Wonder where I can rent a snake....
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 08-10-2023 at 8:55 PM.

I have the long legged rabbits....deer. They can munch things to nothing very quickly. They really liked my wife's hosta lily a couple of years ago and she was irate. I put up a rope three feet high and tied sparkly vin!y tape that fluttered in even a light breeze. This has protected them and happy wife.

We used to hear that moth-balls were a good repellent to critters.

Here, when we start seeing rabbits, foxes are not far behind. The rabbit population goes up. The fox population goes up. The rabbit population goes down. The fox population goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here, when we start seeing rabbits, foxes are not far behind. The rabbit population goes up. The fox population goes up. The rabbit population goes down. The fox population goes down.
    Exactly the same here but with coyotes. Haven't heard a coyote all season and we are overrun with rabbits.

Tom B- could you post a link to your electric fence? Are you able to turn it up to 11 and just lay them out flat?

They completely destroyed our entire carrot crop. But the carrots are fighting their way back.

Blog Entries
    Our cat loves to catch rabbits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here's the electric fence. Got it from McGregor Electric Fence Co. In 2016 it cost $77 with posts and wire. It's their lowest power unit 0.1 joules (PW100). Plenty of kick when I accidentally touch both wires.

Elect Fence.jpg

Also in the picture is our rain gauge.

I heard a podcast the other day that talked about a thriving industry in selling particular animal urines that are very effective in repelling certain animals. Not so sure about putting them on the plants (ew!!!), but on the ground they supposedly work well. Amazon reportedly sells millions of dollars of these a year, and they are also sold in Lowes and Home Depot. They pay zoos for the urine. This site seemed to have the most info, and you can ask their "Pee Man": https://www.predatorpeestore.com/how-pee-works.html

Man the weird stuff you can learn/hear online.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 08-11-2023 at 7:52 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a problem with them in the garden. Ran chicken wire fence all around the outside except for a couple of squeeze through spots. A scoped .25 cal PCP air rifle takes care of those that squeeze through. Only one so far this season. I wonder if that electric fence would help keep the trash pandas out of my fruit trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Here's the electric fence. Got it from McGregor Electric Fence Co. In 2016 it cost $77 with posts and wire. It's their lowest power unit 0.1 joules (PW100). Plenty of kick when I accidentally touch both wires.

Elect Fence.jpg

Thanks....

As a lad I was charged with garden pest control. Dad and I were both hunters, so shooting rabbits in the garden was like shooting fish in a barrel. We ate wild game all the time too, so it was meat on the table.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post

Elect Fence.jpg

Farm store electric fences are very effective and simple. They keep raccoons out of sweet corn very well. Usually one wire is sufficient but if you need to a second wire is easily added. No ground wire is needed as nature supplies that. Dry dirt or not they work.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 08-12-2023 at 1:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I have a problem with them in the garden. Ran chicken wire fence all around the outside except for a couple of squeeze through spots. A scoped .25 cal PCP air rifle takes care of those that squeeze through. Only one so far this season. I wonder if that electric fence would help keep the trash pandas out of my fruit trees?
    Why would minor league baseball players take fruit from your trees? Are they that poorly paid? https://www.milb.com/rocket-city
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Why would minor league baseball players take fruit from your trees? Are they that poorly paid? https://www.milb.com/rocket-city
    I could use some of those trash pandas when the lawn needs mowing.