Thread: Shop Fox mortiser--any opinions?

Question Shop Fox mortiser--any opinions?

Giving serious consideration to making this my next purchase. If you have one, what do you think of it? Would you buy it again? What chisels do you use?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy
    Giving serious consideration to making this my next purchase. If you have one, what do you think of it? Would you buy it again? What chisels do you use?
    Ron,
    Here's my opinion on the shop fox http://cerealport.net/woodworking/sf.html
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Shop Fox Mortiser

I have it..................I like it...............and I would buy it again. I mostly agree with Bill's Review. I also had to do a little touch up on the chisels, but with a little attention, they work good. I know it looks like Norm is barely yanking on the handle, but trust me, it takes some "Umph" to mortise some of the harder woods. Oak is plenty tough, but Ash will put some biceps on ya! Nice Machine. There are other ways to do morstise work, but I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, and I always wanted one............so I bought it.

Shop Fox

Ron,

I've had the Shop Fox mortiser for awhile now and am quite satisfied with it. I use the Shop Fox chisels and they have performed adequately. I think the key to not overheating chisels and bits is proper adjustment of the two. I like the longer handle on the Shop Fox and the fact that it is adjustable. I recently cut 52 mortises in the rails of a baby crib I was building and completed the job in about 30 minutes after the machine was set up. The machine is here to stay!!

Bob