Thread: Cutting angles on top molding of bookcase

Cutting angles on top molding of bookcase

Hello all,

I've been away from this forum for an eternity, but now I have a question I haven't figured out. Probably all due to abysmal math skills.

I am nearing the final stages of building a tall bookcase for my living room, and I want to add custom crown molding across the top and two sides. This is not normal crown molding, but one I am doing a simple custom mill job to match the casework I did many years ago elsewhere in the house. I am looking to have the molding at a 45° angle on the top and sides, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to cut the angled miter joints at the outside corners to achieve a nice tight miter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a screenshot of one corner from SketchUp.

Screenshot.png
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

From what I see it looks a 1/2 lap joint I wouldn't really call that a miter joint. When I do crown I don't use math I use the bottom bevel as a reference and cut the parts upside down & backwards if that makes sense. But that's only for true outside miters & coped inside. What you drawn looks like a very difficult cut and will require a table saw & some hand saw & chisel work. If I was doing that I would cut the slot in side boards only and slip the face board into it. And it would about 100% trial & error.
    Good luck & when you done post up pic & how you did it, sorry I can't be more help.

Tilt the blade to 30 degrees, cut the miter at 35.5 degrees. See https://jansson.us/jcompound.html#nsidedbox
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

How wide is your molding? If it less than 4” or so, don’t cut it laying down flat on the table. Cutting flat on the table is a compound angle cut, and math is required. Instead, you set the molding up at the molding angle, and the saw blade is not beveled over. It is a nice 90 degrees. You mark and cut without math.

Here's a little book I always recommend to my students. It's packed with information including how to cut your molding depending on your cutting method - table saw, miter saw, etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/Handy-Shop-Re...s%2C183&sr=8-1