Thread: Grizzly G0959 - 12" Combo Planer/Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

Grizzly G0959 - 12" Combo Planer/Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

Anyone see this in the wild or used it. Would love it if anywhere near the quality of the Dewalt 735.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Fine Woodworking Magazine did a little review on it. The jointer tables on top will not pivot out of the way. Running shorter pieces make you reach under the tables to feed and remove the board off the planer table. Said it takes 3 minutes between jointer and planer. 1/32" was max recommended cut to keep the motor from bogging. Reviewer thought the price was good, seems high to me.

Yeah I also saw that article. Still regret not picking up an Inca Automatic Jointer Planer 343.190 when I had the chance.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Fine Woodworking Magazine did a little review on it. The jointer tables on top will not pivot out of the way. Running shorter pieces make you reach under the tables to feed and remove the board off the planer table. Said it takes 3 minutes between jointer and planer. 1/32" was max recommended cut to keep the motor from bogging. Reviewer thought the price was good, seems high to me.
    12" cutterhead and 1 1/2 h.p. I can believe shallow cuts are recommended. Planers with 12" cutterheads are usually driven by a 3 h.p. motor. I was thinking that narrower boards could be planed more than 1/32" per pass but Grizzly's spec sheet says maximum depth of cut is 3/64". Making the jointer beds fixed does away with the occasional issue traditional J/Ps have with infeed and outfeed jointer table alignment.

jack said 1 HP for every four inches straight knives and that is a decent rule. All depends on material, amount removed and how hard you push., The general had 1 1/2 HP 8 inches and was well underpowered even at the 2 HP leeson proper next level up I found it underpowered at times. If you are making a living you push stuff a bit to be efficient, if not you are wasting time.

If you have the space and the price is really great, and you also have the DW735 already, you could pick this one up and use it just for the 12" jointer. A smaller motor shouldn't be a bad on a jointer since you are taking tiny cuts most times anyways. Would give you jointing ability closer to the DW735 width.