Thread: Turning outside?

Turning outside?

Now that I've added a smaller lathe to my shop I was thinking of installing some casters so it can used for some outside turning. When the weather is nice (frequently around here) I sometimes regret not taking advantage of it. My Oneway 2436 is not what I would consider practical to move. My newly added Woodfast M408H lathe on the other hand seems perfect for the task. Anyone else like using their lathe outside?

If you add casters, make sure the bench isn't sitting on them when you turn. In fact, finding a flat surface to set up the lathe might be your biggest issue. My cousin's ex-husband ran a woodworking business out of a single car garage in Monterey, Ca. He did 90% of his work outside.

I like turning outside unless the wind is blowing, which is frequent here. No matter which way the wind is blowing, the sawdust finds its way up my face shield and into my eyes. I'm also not crazy about doing it with direct sunlight. I prefer a light overcast, and I have no control over that. Direct sunlight creates a hard light contrast, and it can be harder to see with deep shadows in some areas.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If you add casters, make sure the bench isn't sitting on them when you turn. In fact, finding a flat surface to set up the lathe might be your biggest issue. My cousin's ex-husband ran a woodworking business out of a single car garage in Monterey, Ca. He did 90% of his work outside.
    The casters that I plan to use have a pad that screws down to support the lathe so it doesn't move. Unfortunately they also will elevate the lathe about 4". I hope that doesn't present a problem.

You need to be sure the lathe is not only secure and level but has no twist in the ways. Locking the casters is not always enough. Once placed you need to check alignment of head and tail stock

my lathe is outside beside house. Covered, of course when not used. Wife won’t let me inside.

for casters, look at Zambus AC-300-S. Great and lock down with little height added.

I did moved my Laguna 1836 in and out of my garage for over a year until I finally decided to add a room specifically to my shop for the lathe. The 1836 had the castors( I bought them with the lathe) had the castors from the beginning as I knew I would be moving it in and out. It was somewhat of a pain to set up and break down with tool table, etc, maybe 30 minutes on the front end and 30 minutes on the back end. Biggest issue was weather .....always on the lookout for incoming rain, etc.
    Otherwise, I enjoyed it outside other than setup/Breakdown and weather. Cleanup was easy unless I was turning something that had resin.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by alan weinberg View Post
    for casters, look at Zambus AC-300-S. Great and lock down with little height added.
    This is what I ended up ordering yesterday. I think they're a little higher. Hopefully that won't be a problem.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYP8DCX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

those look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    You need to be sure the lathe is not only secure and level but has no twist in the ways. ... Once placed you need to check alignment of head and tail stock
    That is valuable advice for inboard turners!
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

So right on. I have the mobility kit for my laguna 18/36 and every time I've moved it, I had to readjust the tailstock to match the headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    You need to be sure the lathe is not only secure and level but has no twist in the ways. Locking the casters is not always enough. Once placed you need to check alignment of head and tail stock

Many people don't realize just how much a cast bed lathe can twist.
    The lathes that use the Oneway cylinder model don't twist.

Here's a pic of the Woodfast M408H lathe with the casters installed. They raise the lathe about 4" and are far beefier than needed. Looks overkill to me. I like the casters but hope to find something lighter weight with a smaller profile.
    Woodfast Lathe 002.jpg