Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: August Box making Project

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    Where does one get a branding iron like that one. I've seen the ones that are one oe two lines of text but not one thats all fancy.

DC
    google: "branding iron for woodworkers" -- they're available all over the place. I've got at least five different ones from multiple sources.

Actually, I sent them a photo of the design I wanted...they crafted it in brass...
    @emilycraftsupplies

My son ordered from them. They make branding tools for both wood and leather. They offer both an Electric heated version (like mine) and a Flame heated version.

Usually I let it heat about 15 to 20 minutes, before trying to brand a piece of wood. It also takes that long for it to be cool enough to place back in the wooden case it came with.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Nice (and fast) work, Steven. I don’t believe in luck so I won’t wish you such for the cataract surgery. Instead, give ‘em hell!

Steven,

+1 on Tim's comment above.

The last photo with the Stanley 39 in it looks like you restored it a bit from the first photo. Do you use the 39 much?

I don't have a 39, and never felt the need to have one, but do have a 45 that I have had for over 40 years and have had a 46 for maybe 4 or 5 years or so perhaps. My 46 is still boxed up somewhere from our move to Oklahoma and I don't know when it will see the light of day again as I have no idea when I can get my shop built.

I know the 39 is a dedicated plane for one specific width, which makes me wonder if it works a lot better than the combination planes with various irons for different widths?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-24-2023 at 10:19 PM.

All I need for the 39 to cut a 3/8" wide dado..to to attach a batten along the right hand side of the dado...set the depth of cut..and go to town.....90 degrees to the grain or at any angle I need.

The 45 and 46 are more or less guided by the fence setting. The 39 can go anywhere across a panel...like a middle shelf in a 3 shelf bookcase...it can also clean up and fine tune dados made by the #45 or #46...since the right side of the plane is milled flat...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use