Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Motor Starter Switch

Table Saw Motor Starter Switch

I just picked up a Delta 12/14 (model 34-351) with a 5hp 3-phase motor. I need a motor starter and switch. My preference is for one of the push button units with the large red mushroom stop buttons that I will mount on the bottom of the fence rail towards the front left.

I found one for a Delta Unisaw but it is labeled 1-phase, however it has three terminals. Is it possible that this switch can be used with 3-phase:

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpg
    - Mike

Nevermind...this switch isn't the correct amperage
    - Mike

I prefer a separate contactor+adjustable overloads mounted anywhere and a push button station mounted where convient. This also allows me to mount a off switch on the back if desired or a foot bar switch.
    I prefer to use a 120 or 240 volt coil and avoid a transformer. I also like a lighted mushroom off.
    How many amps+volts

BilL D

Like this . I can not read the coil voltage
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/25608723579...Bk9SR6Dk04e-Yg
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-13-2023 at 4:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I prefer a separate contactor+adjustable overloads mounted anywhere and a push button station mounted where convient. This also allows me to mount a off switch on the back if desired or a foot bar switch.
    I prefer to use a 120 or 240 volt coil and avoid a transformer. I also like a lighted mushroom off.
    How many amps+volts

BilL D

Like this . I can not read the coil voltage
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/25608723579...Bk9SR6Dk04e-Yg
    Yes, I like that idea. I could install a smaller push button switch station on the front rail and the contactor on the back of the saw.

It's 240v, 5hp, 3-phase. I assume the amps are around 16 but I haven't been able to get a good look at the motor tag yet.
    - Mike

I would rather have a used USA made contactor then a new made in China one. I think it will last longer. Buying used, an empty enclosure will cost more then the guts by themselves.
    Bill D

Does it make a difference if the push button station has momentary switches or latching switches?
    - Mike

I generally recommend a magnetic switch for something like a table saw. I'm not sure if Bill's link is a magnetic switch/contactor.

Here's a 5HP 3-phase example:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-1883...dp/B002LVUWIG/

I have never seen a large mushroom "OFF" button on a switch with this amount of power. They are all usually for the lower current 120V stuff (only good up to 1.5 HP).

Momentary switches are much safer. At least for start switches. If you lose power the tool with shut down and not restart until power is restored and then the start switch has to be pressed. With latching on switches it can start as soon as it is plugged in. Or if power comes on while you are touching then blade trying to figure out what has happened.
    For a contactor a push button switch is very low fractional amps. I have never seen a mushroom switch rated for more then 5 amps or so.
    Bill D

I'm not sure if Bill's link is a magnetic switch/contactor.

the title says contactor overload. Magnetic switch is a recent vocabulary term to describe a self contained contactor with push button station integrated into the enclosure. Overloads may not be included, often not.
    Bill D

Based on your definition, "Momentary switches" and "Magnetic switches" are essentially the same thing. Once hitting the "ON" button, the contactor will be engaged until you hit the "OFF" button or you lose A/C power (like un-plugging the power cord). It prevents the machine from automatically restarting when A/C power is turned back on. It's a safety thing. You don't necessarily need it on all tools (like dust collector), but it's important on any tool that could cause injury.

Thanks for the info, guys.
    - Mike

my go to for motor starters has always been thebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rter&_osacat=0

Found this one on eBay for $80. They state in the ad that it is branded NHD, "a trusted manufacturer used for many years as OEM equipment by Delta Woodworking Machinery, Powermatic, Jet and many other well known machinery manufacturers.".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15382811407...3Avlp_homepage

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Thoughts?
    - Mike

Or this one which looks to be the right type and vintage to match the saw but I think they're asking too much for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255736007790

s-l1600.jpg
    - Mike

The $375 Allen-Bradley switch is NOT a magnetic switch, so it is not recommended. It is likely priced at $375 because it's "vintage". The seller is hoping a rich "collector" is going to buy it at this price, but the value is just not there.

The other ebay item is very similar to the Amazon link I posted. The Amazon item is $20 cheaper.