Thread: Sanding mops & or sanding stars?

Sanding mops & or sanding stars?

What's the real differences between Klingspors sanding mops and sanding stars?

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/FS32999B/

and

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/parsandstar/

I want it primarily for concave and convex contours I've carved into the faces of wood, including reaching up under the wave overhang on this one. So it will be mounted in a drill, angle grinder, or other handheld device. It needs to have an arbor that sticks out very far, so it looks like the sanding stars would do the trick, but the sanding mop does have a flush arbor.

Anyone used both of these styles? Are they the same thing, the sanding star is disposable and the sanding mop is reloadable?

IMG_4941.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

2023-01-05_14-38-58.jpg
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I use sandng mops and Mac mops both from Klingspor. I tried the stars but did not work for me. I like the sanding mops best.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 08-16-2023 at 7:52 PM.

I have used the mops for over 30 years 4" x 10". I run them on horizontal shafts. I don't think they would work well in a drill. 100 & 180 grit paired with pneumatic drums that have the same grit.

Mac mops, I see there's a 1"x7" with a 1/4" spindle. I think I'll try one of those along with a sanding star and a 1x4 sanding mop. Perhaps this is a situation where one size doesn't fits all.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Wow, beautiful and cool work!

Check out Vince's Wood N Wonders. He may have some good advice for you regarding paper styles, backing pads, mandrels, and paper style/size.

Blog Entries
    I never got to use them, as I went a different direction. But I saw some good reviews for Scotch Brite bristle discs.

Can’t say anything about mops or stars, but great looking work and would be great to hear more about the project!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I've used the "star" type in turning operations, although it's been a long time. The scalloped edges allow them to flex more when sanding concave areas without scoring the surface and they need to be used with a soft backing pad.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've ordered all 3 types: stars, mops, and flutter sheets.
    JonathanJungDesign.com