Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plan "B"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is a much better job than some of the re-plating I've seen on ebay.

jtk
    Thanks Jim. It's just as important to me that it is functional. I like beautiful tools, not so much tools that look like artwork.

Blog Entries
    You are welcome Eric.

You mentioned:

I was recently working on a 1890's combination plane by Siegley that needed some new thumbscrews as several were missing. They were an unusual thread of 1/4-24 and were cast iron. Nobody carries this size anymore. I contacted a manufacturer and was able to purchase thumbscrew blanks of malleable iron.
    I have often found myself in a position of needing to make a custom fastener. Is this a manufacturer who might be willing to sell to others looking for unthreaded blanks?

One of my latest was making a 10-28 thread screw. An old brass wood screw supplied the blank after having its threads cut off. The shank was long enough to form ~1/2" of threads.

Any help would be appreciated.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-07-2023 at 2:16 PM. Reason: words, words, words
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You are welcome Eric.

You mentioned:

I have often found myself in a position of needing to make a custom fastener. Is this a manufacturer who might be willing to sell to others looking for unthreaded blanks?

One of my latest was making a 10-28 thread screw. An old brass wood screw supplied the blank after having its threads cut off. The shank was long enough to form ~1/2" of threads.

Any help would be appreciated.

jtk
    I got the blanks from:

Peerless Hardware Manufacturing Co.
    www.peerlesshardware.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eric.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)