Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder jointer planer

Felder jointer planer

I am considering checking out a Felder 12" unit listed as a CF731 which appears to be a jointer-planer which has been separated from the saw/shaper half of a full-on combination machine. Not much detail on it, including the age. I assume it's a straight-knife head. The control box looks rather complicated which makes me wonder if it is a three phase machine equipped with some type of phase converter. Can anyone fill me in on it? https://nh.craigslist.org/tls/d/conw...647307329.html

Must be relatively new given the green color. Pictures make it look like straight knives, yes.

It also looks to be single-phase (which is what the ad says, and also evident by the contents of the electrical box). The complexity is because:
    1) The motor can be reversed to run the mortising option
    2) The motor doesn't use a centrifugal switch to engage and disengage the start capacitors, you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds until the machine is up to speed (then release it to disengage the start capacitors). This is typical.

Looks like it might be a good deal!

I reached out to the owner recently but passed on it as I'm looking for a 16" unit. Here's his response to my questions. Hopefully this give you a little more info.

"I believe the machine is a 2007 but don't hold me to that. When the machine was separated from the table saw, the back panel with the serial number stayed with original owner. It has a 12" cutting width and is a single phase hookup. It was used about a year ago with no issues. I just haven't had time to use it and have gotten tired maintaining it. It's fairly accessible to get to as well. You can back in a small trailer with a winch into our basement."

Good thing. In the pictures, the control box has no wiring attached to the machine, so the statement that "it was used about a year ago" should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm going to guess that "used a year ago" was when it was still attached to the main table saw. I think he just hasn't gotten around to attempt to make the wiring work. I would be suspicious of this item.

If it's being difficult for him to sell it, then it will be for the next owner too.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I think you guys are being too negative. There is no control circuitry or anything fancy in it (aside from the table and dust chute interlocks) - it's just a single-phase motor. And the j/p side of a combo is more-or-less a regular j/p. Presuming you have the basic electrical skills needed to follow the (Felder-supplied?) wiring diagram, there is nothing at all wrong with this.

I was thinking along the lines that it's an odd machine, not having a model or serial #, so reselling wouldn't be straightforward. And he says he is tired of maintaining it, I wonder what with? Maybe a bed or two is not flat?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Ah, totally fair points. Yeah, definitely worth checking flatness, etc!

Thanks for the information. The seller is going to power it up. I'm not concerned about the lack of a nameplate as long as it does what it is designed to do at a fair price. I will certainly give it a close inspection. I haven't had my hands on a machine like this so it will at least be educational.

I think that's the key, Kevin...insuring it's working properly within reason before you put out your shekels and take it home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The price seams pretty fair but you could for another 800 get a new hammer 12" j/p with carbide inserts. This would eliminate any fear of issues, reduce your future cost of knives, be easily reselable

https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s...block-sp979003

True, but this is basically an AD531, isn't it? A class up from the Hammer, and 250lbs heavier (638lbs vs 880lbs), and lists for $7,500.

Is it really just a jointer? I do not see any flip up planer feature.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Is it really just a jointer? I do not see any flip up planer feature.
    Bill D
    Yes...the combo machines feature jointer/thicknessers and this was separated from a combo. Most big combo machines don't actually feature the ability to split because of resource sharing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If that's really just a jointer, I know 12" jointers are $$$$ but $3500 seems like a chunk of change for a not-really stand alone jointer.