Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for when buying used mortiser?

What to look for when buying used mortiser?

I’ve found a used Powermatic Benchtop Mortiser PM 701 at a decent price locally and was thinking about buying it. From the photos it looks to be in decent shape. I’m thinking it’s 5 years old and hasn’t been used for a year or more. It’s definitely got surface rust and I would bet in places some worse rust.

A dedicated mortiser is a tool I always wanted at some point but not anytime soon because there are more essential tools I need. But at this price I could let it jump the line.

Any advice on what to check on a mortising machine that would tell me whether there is something wrong with it or not? Warning signs of manufacturing defect or abuse from previous owner? I’ve never used a mortiser before so I’m just not familiar with all of the mechanics. I’ve read about them but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Any sage advise would be most helpful!

Thank you.

These machines are generally in good shape because they don't get used much.

- Heavy, not really portable
    - A clamping X-Y table is nice
    - Do not produce a perfectly clean hole like a router or Domino, especially for a through- mortise.
    - Good for developing strong right pec & shoulder muscles.
    - Not a good fit for the dust collection extremist.

I've had a couple, but not that specific model.

I'd suggest these:
    1] check that all of the hollow chisels fit cleanly into the bushing
    2] check that the sharp end of the bits and chisels don't seem to have been abused
    3] check the drill shaft runout, if you have the necessary gear. At its basic level, this thing is a drill press - i've even used them for that a on occasion
    4] use the handle to run the head up and down. Reset the handle so you can get the head to access the full length of the toothed rack, and to be sure the handle positioning feature functions correctly
    5] Turn it on and make some square holes
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

All of the parts are there, that it goes up and down, and can make a mortise.
    The good news is, that as Cameron pointed out, they don't get used much, and for good reason. Out of the box, they are, uhmmm, lacking.
    I Have a Delta 651 and I don't think I know where all of the parts are. The base was junk, the hold down even worse, and that fence!!! what a waste of cast iron.
    Mine was retrofitted with an X-Y vise years ago. It sits on a 2" thick hardwood maple base, pedestal, and the chisels are absolutely perpendicular to the vise.I can make beautiful mortises with mine, but it took some work.

Okay, now to be less "snarky". Bench top mortiser are a very essential machine to a small home hobbiest shop. They do require some refinements, and there are tons of You Tube videos out there that demonstrate how folks have achieved a high level of performance out of them, but nearly all have the machine, as out of the box, modified significantly.
    The chisels, as long as they're not bent, 1/4" chisel specifically, or broken, will need to be sharpened and honed to a level that if you handle them incorrectly, there will be blood. They have to be scary sharp. Same with the bit. It will need work, as new.
    If all of the parts for that PM are there's and everything works, you can't really go wrong, but look at an X-Y vise mod for it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a benchtop (Jet) and it's a great machine when making traditional mortise and tenon joinery. That said, I don't have an x y table so I set depth initially and find the appropriate sized backer (shim) if the piece needs larger than half inch. Moving the piece left to right is a royal PITA since I have to unclamp every time but I think I'd loose too much plunge depth if I retrofitted an x y table - haven't seen any real low profile that don't have a ton of slop or break the bank (its usually one or the other).

I agree with the above comments. Most machines do not get a ton of use so as long as it seems to work smoothly it should be good. I have a Rikon with an X/Y table (very useful) and have had great luck with it. Boy, if you are close I could cut you a good deal on one - I have not used it much (one small project) so I have been thinking of selling it. 😀

My point of view is that unless you absolutely have to make square shouldered mortises, don't buy it. A router mortiser is far easier, more accurate, faster, and no cleanup of the sidewalls. There's no maintenance except to install a new bit when it gets dull.

Build or buy my machine, buy whatever they now call the Multi Router, buy a Pantorouter, buy a Domino. Lots of better options than a chisel mortiser.

John

Check for cracks in the castings. I don't know about Powermatic, but I remember reading about people breaking parts putting so much force on the feed handle on some brand.

It has been suggested that bench top mortisers need some refinements to produce accurate mortises. This may be true for some, especially some of the less expensive Asian models, but my first mortiser is the Multico manufactured in England. I believe this was one of the first bench tops made, preceding the Asian copies. It is a simple but extremely well made machine that produced excellent mortises. the only reason I no longer use it is that I came across a screaming deal for the Powermatic American made floor model mortiser, so I no longer use the Multico, which I would consider selling if anyone is interested.

I purchased a JET benchtop used years ago on CL. I could tell by the looks it had been lightly used. I only use it occasionally, but on mortise intense projects it is very nice to have. Plan on buying a sharpening kit as learning to sharpen the chisel/ bit is paramount.

P.S. There are plenty of used Jet and Delta bench top ones on CL and Facebook. I would avoid an off brand unless you can verify it’s quality. IMO.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 08-21-2023 at 4:52 PM.

I'm totally being that guy....

I had one. Used it like 3 times. Too big, too heavy, too much one trick pony. Replaced it with my router, a couple of jigs, and some chisels. I guess I'd consider the big, floor standing Powermatic or whatever for the extra power. But the benchtop was just way too specialized and cumbersome...sort of but also not at all portable, if that makes sense.

We all hate 'that guy' so I apologize in advance...I'll show myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    I'm totally being that guy....

I had one. Used it like 3 times. Too big, too heavy, too much one trick pony. Replaced it with my router, a couple of jigs, and some chisels. I guess I'd consider the big, floor standing Powermatic or whatever for the extra power. But the benchtop was just way too specialized and cumbersome...sort of but also not at all portable, if that makes sense.

We all hate 'that guy' so I apologize in advance...I'll show myself out.
    No hate here. You make very valid points. If you can get one cheap and have the space to store it it's nice to have but your reasoning is sound. I feel the same way about biscuit joiner hardly ever use it but since I got it cheap/used I will keep it around for the occasional usage.

I have a full sized mortiser and love it. I'm not a fan of the benchtop models for all of the reasons the others have mentioned. They just fall short in every category except price.
    JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I have a full sized mortiser and love it. I'm not a fan of the benchtop models for all of the reasons the others have mentioned. They just fall short in every category except price.
    JMHO
    I respectfully disagree. I can't speak to the Asian benchtop clones as far as whether or not they "fall short in every category except price". As the current owner of a Multico benchtop and the heavy duty Powermatic full size floor model as mentioned in a previous post, I would be lying if I said they perform the same. However, although the Multico benchtop doesn't have an xy table and all the adjustments for mortises are made manually, I've built several pieces of furniture with through mortises with both machines, and the results were pretty much identical. Both machines produced clean and accurate through mortises. Is the Powermatic easier to use? Absolutely and it saves a lot of time, which is why I am selling the Multico. Fortunately, I have the space to keep the Powermatic. Since the benchtop that takes up less than 2 square feet of shelf space, this might make a difference as to purchasing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I can't speak to the Asian benchtop clones as far as whether or not they "fall short in every category except price". As the current owner of a Multico benchtop and the heavy duty Powermatic full size floor model as mentioned in a previous post, I would be lying if I said they perform the same. However, although the Multico benchtop doesn't have an xy table and all the adjustments for mortises are made manually, I've built several pieces of furniture with through mortises with both machines, and the results were pretty much identical. Both machines produced clean and accurate through mortises. Is the Powermatic easier to use? Absolutely and it saves a lot of time, which is why I am selling the Multico. Fortunately, I have the space to keep the Powermatic. Since the benchtop that takes up less than 2 square feet of shelf space, this might make a difference as to purchasing one.
    I really don't see where we disagree.
    If what you can afford and have space for is a benchtop version, there are certainly some models that are worth a look.
    The fact that most don't have adequate clamping, or table size or XY travel and so on, just makes them more difficult, time consuming and often times not as precise as the full size versions. This is why IMO, they fall short at their price point.
    To each their own.