Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Much heavy particles getting through to fines bin on HF 2 stage upgrade

Too Much heavy particles getting through to fines bin on HF 2 stage upgrade

I made a few upgrades to my HF 2 stage system. I used to have a Thein baffle inside a metal garbage can and the outlet was in line to the Wynn filter and bucket setup. I made the following changes, larger Wen impeller, Oneida Super Dust Deputy, now had to have outlet line drop down to the filter/bucket setup. I tested it out yesterday after install and at the table saw it has more suction compared to the old setup but after looking at the garbage can and 5 gallon bucket, too much was getting through to the bucket. I probably had about equal amounts in the garbage can and bucket of heavy particles from the table saw. Trying to figure out what I did wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe the increased suction just means you are collecting more than the Super Dust Deputy can separate while in your previous setup the Thien was able to keep up. The important thing is do you have less fines escaping into the air?

There may be a leak between the cyclone and the garbage can. All it takes is a pinhole. Get a smoke candle or other safe smoke source, track it down and seal it. It could be that the cyclone is undersized, but check that it is well sealed first.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-20-2023 at 1:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Check to see that everything below the cyclone is absolutely sealed tight. Even a small leak will allow spoil to blow through into the filter. It looks like the weak link might be the lid on the Brute garbage can.

This is a balancing act. I think your impeller upgrade created too much CFM for that small cyclone to properly separate/drop the dust into the barrel. I have seen the same thing happen on my big 5HP cyclone when I'm sucking pure dust out of another bag at a very high 63Hz VFD speed.

Based on the pictures, you appear to be using the Dust Deputy 4/5 model, which is 20" tall (cyclone only). You could try putting in the Steel Dust Deputy 5 at 26" height or even the Dust Deputy XL 6 at 37" height.

In theory, you should have 99% of the dust going into the garbage can and very little going into the bucket underneath the Wynn filter.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 08-20-2023 at 1:24 PM.

First thing to always check on any kind of pre-separator is what Kevin and Frank mentioned...the tiniest of air leaks between the pre-separator (cyclonic or otherwise) and the collection bin will result in blow-by.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, I ordered up a smoke candle unit and will do some tests to see if I have any leaks.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for leaks. I have been using the same pack of incense sticks that I bought to test for DC leaks almost 20 years ago
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would also recommend you use smooth pipe on your connection from the motor/impeller unit to the filter. As I understand it, these types of impellers are very sensitive to exhaust restriction and turbulence. That’s why upgrading to a Wynn type filter makes such a big difference.

I run a very similar setup - 2hp Grizzly impeller/motor unit and a dust deputy. I run 5” pipe (< 20’ total) to the tools, and have a 6” pipe from the cyclone to impeller, and a 6” exhaust pipe vented outside.

I had this setup minus the upgraded impeller and had no issues. The impeller probably gives you decent cfm bump but I doubt it causes the issue. I agree with the others. I dont thing that garbage can seal too well. I had on this a drum with a locking ring.

My current setup is a clearvue that vents outside. I get 0 outside(at least nothing noticeable) accept for 2 times. 1 was I let the bin overflow and fill it and the cyclone. and the second was when I emptied the drum on my last session and failed to put it back together before running it the next day. With air infiltration on the lower end of the cyclone the dust all goes outside.

Do you have a seal on that lid?

I remember a rikon impeller upgrade was the thing to do for a while. Which wen impeller are folks using now a days?

Yep that garbage can caught my eye as well. I use a metal 55 gal barrel, top has a gasket and it seals tight with a compression ring.

Bought it off Craigslist for $60. Highly recommended - held tomato paste in a previous life.

Those garbage cans have a tendency to distort under vacuum, especially when its hot. I don't think the tops are liquid tight, much less air tight.

https://eagle.justrite.com/lab-pack-...black-1651mblk

These keep the weight down. I thought about using a metal drum but these are super light. once filled I put it on the back of my quad drive it into the woods and dump it. Dumping on weeds not close to real trees.

Leaks fixed

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another vote for leaks. I have been using the same pack of incense sticks that I bought to test for DC leaks almost 20 years ago
    I picked up a smoke candle set but didn't see any visible leakage. I applied foam seals to both the lid and the can as well as foil tapping all the joints. Ran another 1/4 can full of dust/debris and hardly had anything in the fines bucket. Thanks again for all the help.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful. Glad that fixed it.