Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the problem with my GFCI outlet?

What is the problem with my GFCI outlet?

I live in a rural area and we get frequent outages of a second or less. I have one GFCI outlet that trips about half the time there is an outage. It has never tripped otherwise. Shutting the circuit breaker on and off doesn't trip it. The only time it trips in from outages.
    I have 6 other GFCI outlets and they are fine. I replaced it once, but the new one does exactly the same thing.
    There is nothing critical on the circuit, but it is annoying. Any idea why this is happening?

The problem could be a light fixture ballast. The one on front of shop trips every time there is a power flicker. Disconnected exterior light, and it doesn't trip. (Light wasn't turned on.) Same thing for upstairs bathroom in house. Had to relocate light to another circuit. Also if neutral and ground contact each other down stream from GFCI, it will trip. Spent the better part of a day searching this problem for a customer once.

Blog Entries
    I have one GFCI outlet that trips about half the time there is an outage. It has never tripped otherwise.
    As Bruce mentioned, it may be caused by something connected to it. The GFCI in one of our bathrooms trips every time a certain night light is plugged into it. This is kind of odd since the night light has no ground pin or any other path for voltage to ground which is what usually trips a GFCI unit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The one in my shop close by my new plasma cutter which is NOT plugged into 120 volts but on its own 240 volt circuit now trips. Spike on the line or RF near will trip GFIs at times.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We had one circuit at one of our rentals that had only an outside outlet on it.
    I tried everything - net GFCI, GFCI in the breaker panel. Noting worked.
    I finally had someone in to pull all new wire. That solved the problem.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I had a problem with one that a contractor wired, kitchen exhaust fan to. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As Bruce mentioned, it may be caused by something connected to it. The GFCI in one of our bathrooms trips every time a certain night light is plugged into it. This is kind of odd since the night light has no ground pin or any other path for voltage to ground which is what usually trips a GFCI unit.

jtk
    GFCIs trip due to an imbalance in the current on the two wires. I think the threshold is around 4 to 6 milliamps. Meaning some current is leaking to ground, usually through a wiring fault or issue with a fixture. Some automatic lighting can cause a problem due to the tiny current that always passes through to drive the light sensor and may cause an imbalance during the transition from off to on. At least it appears that way to me in my unscientific testing. Old light ballasts also can cause this.

If it is outside or in a damp location moisture in the air can cause problems. I prefer to mount the GFCi indoors and daisy chain outlets outside.
    BilLD

I understand it can be almost anything... but it only trips on power failures. What is it about power failures that can trip it? It doesn't trip when I turn the breaker off. What is the difference between a power failure and the breaker shut off?

A neighbor suggested that I disconnect various parts of the circuit and see how that affects the tripping; but since it only does it on half the power failures, testing it like that could take 10 years of having my circuit messed up.

Switching the breaker off and on is a relatively clean disconnect and reconnect. A power failure can possibly put a lot of spikes and other electrical noise with lots of harmonics on the line and the GFCI detects an imbalance. I think harmonics are a reason that GFCIs have trouble with electronic variable-frequency drives for lathes and other machines. The location of this GFCI from the panel may make it more susceptible than the others. Is it closer?
    Try swapping with one the others you don't have trouble with?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Switching the breaker off and on is a relatively clean disconnect and reconnect. A power failure can possibly put a lot of spikes and other electrical noise with lots of harmonics on the line and the GFCI detects an imbalance. I think harmonics are a reason that GFCIs have trouble with electronic variable-frequency drives for lathes and other machines. The location of this GFCI from the panel may make it more susceptible than the others. Is it closer?
    Try swapping with one the others you don't have trouble with?
    That seems like the most likely explanation to me. The fact that it only happens on power failure would seem to make other causes improbable. But then I'm no expert on these things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I understand it can be almost anything... but it only trips on power failures. What is it about power failures that can trip it? It doesn't trip when I turn the breaker off. What is the difference between a power failure and the breaker shut off?

A neighbor suggested that I disconnect various parts of the circuit and see how that affects the tripping; but since it only does it on half the power failures, testing it like that could take 10 years of having my circuit messed up.
    Can you make a list of the items on this particular circuit?

Thing like a capacitor start motor could be the culprit. A starting capacitor could be near failure or when starting it can cause a slight change to the current and voltage phase angles.

If you try the disconnect of various parts of the circuit, do half at a time. This way if the problem moves to a different breaker you will know the problem is in that half. Then break the problem part in half again.

That can be a pain though waiting for power outages to solve a problem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

My understanding is that when the power is restored after a failure, the GFCI trips even if nothing is switched on. If this is the case, then equipment connected but not switched on shouldn't have any effect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    My understanding is that when the power is restored after a failure, the GFCI trips even if nothing is switched on. If this is the case, then equipment connected but not switched on shouldn't have any effect.
    I didn't get the nothing switched on feeling from the OP >
    There is nothing critical on the circuit, but it is annoying. Any idea why this is happening?
    Without knowing more about the situation, we are pretty much grasping at straws. There could be a pinched wire in one of the junction boxes with a slight path to ground when the power restoration causes a surge.

It may be similar to my case where a fancy night light causes the problem when power is restored.

It could be a power strip with a faulty surge protector.

Without more information, it is a guessing game.

At best, maybe suggestions toward different ways to trouble shoot the problem might lead to a solution.

One more thing, in my case the GFCI outlet is in one bathroom. It also has an outlet in the second bathroom and one outdoors that are down stream. When the weather comes in from a certain direction, it seems the outside outlet causes it to trip. Though that hasn't happened in maybe ten years.

There are a lot of possibilities.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-30-2023 at 7:06 PM. Reason: One more thing

Blog Entries
    If you have a dimmer or motion switch on the circuit, it may be the culprit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute