Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a 4hp Harvey saw trip a 20amp 220v breaker?

Will a 4hp Harvey saw trip a 20amp 220v breaker?

Trying to decide between the 2hp and the 4hp and want to be prepared if I have to change out the breaker for something bigger. Right now I am running a Grizzly 1023 2hp 220v and it never trips the breaker.

One more question....anyone know what cord comes with it? I currently have a twist lock on my grizzly.

A 240V 20 amp circuit will be fine for a 4HP motor. The Harvey specifications indicate 16A on the motor (which is typically full load). If you have a 5HP motor, I'd recommend a 30A circuit.

The Harvey comes with a 6-20P straight blade plug. You can always cut the cord and re-wire with a L6-20p locking plug if you want.

For me, more power, not less
    buy the 4hp motor and do what is needed after saw shows up
    have run 1hp to 5hp saws and prefer the higher horsepower machines. Personal preference as the 1hp will get the job done
    Ron

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    Trying to decide between the 2hp and the 4hp and want to be prepared if I have to change out the breaker for something bigger. Right now I am running a Grizzly 1023 2hp 220v and it never trips the breaker.
    Just for future reference - and the actual smart people here should check me on this - you likely can't just change the breaker from 20a to 30a. The breaker is there to protect the wire. The 20a should have 12ga wire. The 30a needs 10ga. Pulling 30a through 12ga wire can ruin you day.

I was in a similar situation 10 or 12 years ago, and those same smart people here yanked on the choke chain before I could screw it up. I still remember it. I'm still grateful.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Just for future reference - and the actual smart people here should check me on this - you likely can't just change the breaker from 20a to 30a. The breaker is there to protect the wire. The 20a should have 12ga wire. The 30a needs 10ga. Pulling 30a through 12ga wire can ruin you day.

I was in a similar situation 10 or 12 years ago, and those same smart people here yanked on the choke chain before I could screw it up. I still remember it. I'm still grateful.
    Correct, that was my concern if I had to up my breaker. Thanks!

Kent - you are correct. 10 awg conductors are required for 240V 30A.

#10 or bigger if it is a long run from the panel. Unlikey to be long enough to worry if the panel is inside the shop.
    Bill D

I have the 4hp Harvey and pulled a 30 amp circuit for it (Harvey spec called for it). When I unpacked and set up the saw, i saw it didn’t have a 30 amp plug so I had to get an adapter to use my 30 amp receptacle (didn’t want to cut cord on a new saw). I have a 20 amp 220 receptacle near the saw (for dust collector) but I have never tried the saw on it. I would think it would be ok. I would sure try it out before I would pull all new wiring to go to 30 amp. And I agree with others, buy the 4 hp one - you will not regret it.

PS: I love the saw ! One of my son in laws also purchased the same saw and loves his also. Both of us popped for the 4 hp.
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 08-22-2023 at 8:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    I have the 4hp Harvey and pulled a 30 amp circuit for it (Harvey spec called for it). When I unpacked and set up the saw, i saw it didn’t have a 30 amp plug so I had to get an adapter to use my 30 amp receptacle (didn’t want to cut cord on a new saw).
    Hey Doug - Please let us know where the Harvey spec calls for a 30 amp circuit. I cannot find any reference to this. The Harvey specification for the motor shows this:

4 HP, 230 V, 1 PH, 16 A

This is well within the capability of a standard 240v 20A circuit. Also, the saw power cord comes with a 6-20P plug, which is a 20A standard plug and can only plug into a 6-20 outlet (again, a 20A outlet).

80% rule for a 20 amp breaker yields 16 amps. So a 16 amp motor is right on the edge for a 20 amp breaker assuming no low voltage brownouts in your neighborhood.
    Of course I doubt you will run that saw for three hours straight. But start that saw with the dc, air compressor and air conditioner running and it very well may pop the breaker.
    Bill D

When the 4HP saw is powered on, it will have a spike in power draw to about 15-18 amps to crank up the motor and then calm down to about 5 amps draw with just the blade spinning (that's about 1100 watts). If you are pushing through some 3" hardwood on the saw, you could very well reach the full load amps of the motor (16 amps). Of course, like Bill stated, if you load the circuit with other stuff (such as DC, compressor, etc.), you will likely be tripping the breaker. Dust collectors are high current machines and will definitely pull "full load amps" when they are in use. Air compressors will also pull a lot of current.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 08-23-2023 at 3:53 AM.

I am going to call Harvey and try to work a deal, but their pricing is annoying. Every few days it swings dramatically up and down.

Calling them is not a horrible idea, Robert. It's true that the pricing is always a moving target, but many folks have gotten satisfying results with a conversation, including myself relative to my G700 when the price was "better" a few days after I ordered.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...