Thread: Yellow Birch Flooring

Yellow Birch Flooring

Hello everyone;

the recent thread by Brian gave me a little nudge to share some photo's of my flooring job. I have spent a long time building a log home here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, this is the flooring I choose to install. It is 3/4" kiln dried Yellow Birch, in three different widths ,4" , 5" & 6".
    It is Tonge and groove but not Groved on the ends of the boards. I had it milled by a local logger and as you can see it turned out very nice. I laid about 1250 square feet of it , most of the home except for the Master Bedroom.
    Thanks for looking !
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love yellow birch. Very hard and smooth when prepped properly. I cut some off my NH property at one time and used it for some furniture door panels. Is it prevalent on the UP?

+1 on Yellow Birch, floors look great.

Al

Yes , there is quite a bit of Yellow Birch here in the U P. Some of them get up to a considerable size.

Chris

The floors in my house are Red Birch which is the heart wood of Yellow Birch. They have been down for 26 years but still look great. Hard to beat birch for flooring.

Very nice.
    Brian

The floor is as beautiful as the post and beam work. Magnificent.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work. I built a log home with my family years ago. A developer bought the land and was going to move the log cabin. He was never able to move it. Now there is a cookie cutter neighborhood with a log cabin in the middle of it.

I am currently restoring doors for a hotel restoration that were veneered in yellow birch. We are making the veneers in-house. It’s hard stuff, but veneers well.