Thread: Multi-axis turning - looking for resources

Multi-axis turning - looking for resources

Easy enough. I need to find the how-to for multiaxis turning. Specifically a platter/disc style of turning. I kinda remember but figured I'd find a resource to walk we thru it again. I'm not attracted to multiaxis spindle turning which I found resources for on YT. This is for an art piece so there will be zero utility in the outcome. I've got a big heavy lathe so it'll take the out-of-round vibrations just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    Easy enough. I need to find the how-to for multiaxis turning. Specifically a platter/disc style of turning. I kinda remember but figured I'd find a resource to walk we thru it again. I'm not attracted to multiaxis spindle turning which I found resources for on YT. This is for an art piece so there will be zero utility in the outcome. I've got a big heavy lathe so it'll take the out-of-round vibrations just fine.
    Hi Chip, I searched "off centre platter turning" and found some useful results

Douglas Fisher does a lot of shallow bowls with off center turning and lots of carving. This may help you. https://www.bayareawoodturners.org/R...tter_05_13.pdf
    and https://edswoodturning.com/2010/12/1...h-doug-fisher/
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-24-2023 at 10:57 PM.

Or, there are open slots in the weekend Offset Platter class that Bob Henrickson and I will be teaching at John C. Campbell in a couple of weeks. The results are very much like Fisher’s, though the backside of ours are profiled differently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

And, another example….
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Or, there are open slots in the weekend Offset Platter class that Bob Henrickson and I will be teaching at John C. Campbell in a couple of weeks. The results are very much like Fisher’s, though the backside of ours are profiled differently.
    John, do you happen to know what Doug is doing now? His website is dead and I see very little activity on the internet. He stayed at our home when he demoed for the Central Illinois Woodturners, and I pretty much lost contact with him.

Richard, some years ago he got into doing rustic looking models of sailing boats as I recall as sailing has always been a passion. I recall seeing some of his work, but I am unsure where.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Richard, some years ago he got into doing rustic looking models of sailing boats as I recall as sailing has always been a passion. I recall seeing some of his work, but I am unsure where.
    When we went to dinner here, he brought an album of sailboats and adventures. Makes sense. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James Ley View Post
    Hi Chip, I searched "off centre platter turning" and found some useful results
    Your search was a good one. I had not tried enough different variations. I found some helpful things.

Yep...Douglas is a reference artists for this piece of work. Just not going for a pacific native theme.

I'm reading the book "Woodturning Methods" by Mike Darlow and it has a section on multi-axis cross-grain ornamental turnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    Yep...Douglas is a reference artists for this piece of work. Just not going for a pacific native theme.
    Well obviously you don't have to carve it. His technique of having a domed back and the way it is moved and held is very unique