Thread: Why do some clothes dryers have water lines?

Why do some clothes dryers have water lines?

In researching a purchase of (used) clothes dryer, I watched a YouTube video about dryer disassembly that shows a dryer (Samsung) with a water line. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIm2TodFZdE ). My knowledge of dryers must be out of date! Why does a dryer need a water line?

Some models include Wrinkle Prevent with Steam for extra help keeping wrinkles at bay. The water line would be to supply water to make the steam.

Some use a radiator to cool the damp clothes causing the water to condense. No it does not really work. Look to see if there is a vent to blow hot damp air out of the cabinet or not.
    Bill D

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Our Electrolux dryer has a steam setting. It is handy for removing light wrinkles when you forget to pull the close from the dryer.
    DAMHIKT
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

As noted for steam or other wrinkle fighting needs. Our GE smart appliances have this feature. It's hooked up but to date, we've not had a reason to use it. The older LG Steam Dryer at our previous property had a reservoir for water rather than a water line hookup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our LG dryer has the water hook-up for the steam function. We may have used it once or twice in the last few years. Much more useful is the function that reduces the static in the very dry winter months. I think it shoots a little steam in at the end of the drying cycle -- paradoxical, but surprisingly effective at minimizing the static cling without resorting to dryer sheets (which I don't care for)

Sounds like one more place to leak. Hard pass

John (veteran of a clothes washer flood(wall shutoff packing failure) and a dishwasher flood (drain hose failure))
    I will keep rebuilding my old Maytags as long as I can get parts.